6 Ways to Make Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Dorms are great, but sometimes they can lack the comfort and familiarity of home. During these first few weeks of school it’s normal to feel a little homesick, so try some ways to make your new space feel as comfy and natural as your bedroom at home!

1. Make it smell nice

A little scent can make a lot of difference! Buy a plug-in from Bath & Body Works or even just a regular one from Kroger and feel your room be transformed. Every time you walk in, you’ll have a lovely smell welcoming you back. A nice smell can be calming and pleasant after a long day! It might also mask some not-so-nice odors in your dorm, like the laundry you haven’t done in a few weeks.

2. Put up pictures

Pictures are a great way to both personalize your room and give it a home-y feel. I recently got a fun hanging photo display that fits thirty different pictures, so I have room to show off my memories and add new ones throughout the year! Even if you just have a picture of your family or friends back home, it can be a small comfort and remind you of the people you love.

3. Personalize your stuff

A great way to make your dorm your own is to monogram your things! These days you can get basically anything monogrammed, including towels, sheets, pillows, cups, and even shower carriers. A small personal touch can make your stuff seem more familiar and unique.

4. Keep your favorite snacks around

What are your favorite things to eat at home? Though you can’t bring your mom or dad’s cooking to school with you, try keeping some snacks that you enjoy around. Having some food available makes your dorm seem like more than just a bedroom, plus it’ll save you some trips to the BLUU.

5. Use something you already have at home

This year I use a set of my pillowcases from home in my new bed. They’re the exact same ones I use while I’m home, so they remind me of my house and bring a little bit of its feel to TCU. Try it with a lamp, a rug, etc; anything that reminds you of what your room at home is like.

6. Decorate your room with the things you love

We probably all have adorable wall decorations that we got from Hobby Lobby, Pottery Barn, or wherever else, but what do they say about us? That we like chevrons and the color purple? That’s great, but it’s kind of basic. While keeping those pretty decorations up, maybe add something that’s very YOU, like a poster of your favorite band or that one art project you made in high school. It adds a personal flair to your room and shows visitors what you’re in to.

Eleni Michaelides is a freshman marketing major at Texas Christian University. She's part of the Honors College, Gamma Phi Beta sorority, the Chancellor's Leadership Program, and the writing and advertising teams for Her Campus TCU. Eleni's Top 5 Favorite things are puppies, monograms, musicals, food, and Disney. (In no particular order)
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.