Wellness

5 Ways to Practice Self-Care as a Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

College can be ridiculously stressful and definitely a lot to handle! As I’m writing this, I currently have five assignments to work on, an exam to study for, events to help plan, and a dorm that desperately needs organizing. When we have a long to-do list, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and submerge ourselves in our work. While it’s absolutely fine to be productive and focus on your work, it’s also important to take time for yourself and to practice self-care as a busy college student. While you may have a lot of things on your to-do list and your academic schedule, you have to put your mental and physical health first. Prioritize things that relieve your stress and make you feel happier! So, what are some ways that you can incorporate self-care as a busy college student into your schedule?  

1. Start Binging A New Series: Whenever I get super overwhelmed with work and things on my to-do list, I sometimes have to take a night for myself and starting watching a new series from the beginning. It’s a great way to unwind, relax, and really refresh your brain after a long week of exams. I recently started watching Schitt’s Creek, Modern Family, Bojack Horseman, and have been binge-watching Big Bang Theory this semester. Taking some time for myself and getting to focus on a TV show that I genuinely enjoy really helps with stress during college.  
  1. It’s Okay to Say No: If you’re feeling tired and not wanting to go out that night, it’s totally fine to say no to your friends. In college, we’re always told that these are the “best years of our lives” to the point that it’s taken too seriously. Of course you should have fun in college (college is great!), but if you’re feeling exhausted, please let your friends know how you feel and relax at home and recharge. Prioritize yourself and do what you need to in order to take care of yourself.  
  1. Music and Art Does Wonders: One of my favorite ways to rewind is to work on an art project with music or a podcast on in the background. Everyone’s an artist and all that really matters is that you enjoy the art that you’re making. Markers, paint, oil pastels, clay, and coloring books, oh my! Put your favorite album on, relax, and create art that you enjoy making. Choose the colors that make you feel happy and relax you. Put on music that soothes and speaks to you. The other night, I was jamming to the “Be Good” jazz album by Gregory Porter while working on a canvas painting. Using art and music as a way to unwind is such a great way to spend time on yourself.  
  1. Go on Walks: Take a walk around your pretty college campus or friendly neighborhood. Even a ten minute walk a day can do wonders.  
  1. Pick up a hobby that you genuinely enjoy: It can be swimming, soccer, video games, hiking, or anything that peaks your interest!  

Overall, it’s important to put yourself first and do things that relax you, increase endorphins, and make you happy, no matter how big or small! Putting yourself first is such an important thing in college and will definitely help you in the long run.  

Marena Mendez is a rising senior at Texas Christian University and the President of Her Campus at TCU. She is a Youth Advocacy and Child Development major with specializations in Art Education and Communication studies. Marena is also the President of Frogs 4 Children, the Director of Hospitality for TCU Dance Marathon, and a Marketing Intern for Make A Wish. If she's not on campus, she's probably watching "Community", at Target, or tearing it up at Billy Bob's!