This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

TJ Maxx used to be my hidden secret, a true gem at the bottom of the treasure chest, my one-stop shop for string lights, Halloween crap, and sports bras alike. But by now, I think many have woken from their slumber, no longer sleeping on how fabulous TJ Maxx is. Here are my recommendations for what to buy, where to head in the store, and how to resist the urge to buy six candles at checkout.

First, skip over that huge purse and jewelry section.

Simplemost

Unless you’re looking for a bag, of course. They do have a large selection of designer bags, backpacks, and luggage sets, but there’s no need to waste time browsing and planning a trip that would look fantastic with that luggage set.

But, check out the beauty section.

Into the Gloss​

Depending on the Maxx, the beauty section might be crammed with luxury makeup at a steal of a price. Really, this section is only useful though if you’re a beauty connoisseur and are looking to add to your collection: it’s too challenging to actually search for products you need. Head to CVS for that.  

Head to active wear, for sure.

Simplemost

Even for the mildly active (like myself), this section has great deals always. With leggings, comfy shirts, and bras galore, you’re sure to pick up something that you probably do not need, like your 24th pair of black leggings.  

Women’s is Great, Though Hit or Miss

Glassdoor

The women’s section is a hit or a miss. Not really the greatest for steals, but sometimes might have pieces from your favorite brands that you’ll fall in love with and therefore have to purchase. Though I have found a few great pairs, I would say it’s safe to skip the shoes. The selection is super small and way too specific to find something that will fit your needs perfectly.

Now, onto my favorite…the home decor!

Destemperados​ Blog

This is the section where you can both search for what you need, and primarily, what you never knew you needed. I feel like TJ Maxx has literally everything when it comes to home decor — seasonal, every day decor, kitchen and bathroom appliances, and everything in between. Would 100% recommend the walk to the back of your local store to see what they have in store for you!

Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.
Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.