Your Childhood Faves Are All Grown Up (Music Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Music is a penetrating force at any age, so whether you were jamming out to Hannah Montana at age five or age 10, you enjoyed it. Therefore, you probably followed Miss Miley Cyrus’ career as you grew up, either because you were a true fan or because she’s still so relevant in pop culture. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love so much of what my favorite child stars are releasing these days, but the ones that are getting attention were the biggest stars of their day. I mean, obviously you know what former Princess Protection Program costars and BFFs Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez are up to now, but what about Aly & AJ? How about Ross Lynch? They might have not skyrocketed to the heights of Ms. Lovato (Stream “Anyone”) or Ms. Gomez (Stream Rare), but they were surely household names with a lot of talent and a fan base built right in thanks to their film and television careers. Here I compiled a quick list of musical acts that we grew up with of which still deserve your love, attention, and appreciation.

Aly & AJ

Although their music career went on hiatus for a bit, the iconic sister duo has never taken a break from the entertainment industry. Aly Michalka spent five years playing Peyton Charles on the clever, hilarious crime drama iZombie. Similarly, AJ Michalka spent five years guest starring on The Goldbergs as Lainey Lewis, of whom got her own already iconic spinoff, Schooled, last year! They have come a long way from Cowbelles, and even longer way from “Potential Breakup Song,” arguably their best, most recognizable hit song. In 2017, the duo returned to the music scene with an stellar EP appropriately titled Ten Years – being as it had been ten years since Insomniatic was released and topped the Billboard charts. Ten Years not only put our favorite sister duo back on the music scene, but it paved the way for their 2019 EP, Sanctuary, the five track synth-pop collection of music that feels so refreshingly real, vulnerable, and diligently crafted. Their ear and eye for fun and fresh artistic endeavors is clear in everything they do and have ever done, but “Church” is truly the epitome of that. 

Ross Lynch

Honestly, I’ve been a Ross Lynch stan since day one. Austin & Ally was iconic, the songs they performed were bops, and it set the perfect stage for a musical career. Ross’ pseudo-family band, R5, were a hit among tweens and teens alike, but they weren’t mainstream radio ready and they became too tightly linked with The Disney Channel due to their collaborations with the Teen Beach Movie franchise and the network itself. Therefore, let me introduce you to The Driver Era, the alternative pop meets trap rock band started by Ross and his brother, Rocky. Their sound is the perfect combination of retro pop and the future of rock. Their debut record, X, dropped last year and was met with a lot of love from fans and critics alike. Most recently, though, The Driver Era released the music video for their latest song, “A Kiss.” Like everything they do, the band and the video were family projects, which you can’t help but adore. Not to mention that the song itself is a stuck-in-your-head, pulse-pounding pop rock banger that I listen to about 85 times a day (at the least).

Ashley Tisdale

Now, I know that none of you have even dared to forget about Ms. Sharpay Evans, but there’s a slight chance that you didn’t know about how she (Well, actually Ashley Tisdale herself.) came for everyone’s pop music necks in 2019. Symptoms is a ridiculously melodic and fantastically well written album that puts a positive, upbeat spin on darker themes, such as battling inner demons and facing mental health struggles. She bares her all in her songwriting and showcases the most genuine side of her the world has maybe ever seen. It’s not High School Musical and it’s not Suite Life of Zack and Cody. It’s Ashley Tisdale and it’s all about growth, change, and love. Not to mention that it’s simply a really fun listen! I’d say it’s a “Fabulous,” listen, actually. 

Jesse McCartney

Jesse McCartney may not have had his own television show or Disney Channel Original Movie, but the young pop star made a strong impact on the youth of 2005 simply by his cameo on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody and the constant replays of “Beautiful Soul” on TV, radio, and even online. As of 2018, McCartney is back, starting a new era of his life with new music and new inspo (Including his current fiancé – swoon!). The adorable music video for “Better With You,” the intricately crafted modern pop single that kicked started his latest venture into music, actually features Starstruck alum, Danielle Campbell! Not to mention that his 2019 release, The Resolution Tour Live album, features everything from these new hits to deep cuts to acoustic breakdowns, and, of course, McCartney’s practically perfect stage presence.

Debra Kate Schafer is a Journalism and Professional Writing major at TCNJ with a background in music journalism, newspaper writing, and radio. When she's not writing, she can be found playing with her dog, laughing at her own jokes, talking about Harry Styles, and eating too much sushi for her own good.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.