Why You Shouldn’t Be Ashamed You Watched Netflix All Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Source

The most common question people ask you when coming back at the start of a new semester is: “How was your break? What did you do?”

Some people will talk about how much they worked, or describe to you the awesome trip they went on, which makes you feel embarrassed when your reply is “I relaxed, caught up on sleep, and watched Netflix”

But in reality, you should not be ashamed of that answer. It is called winter break, right? Think back to your fall semester and all of those sleepless nights you spent cramming for that exam. Count the amount of cups of coffee you drank daily just so you wouldn’t fall asleep in the lib. All those exhausting social interactions you went to after simply wanting to relax but you forced yourself to go to thanks to your severe case of FOMO (fear of missing out). I personally think all that is a very legitimate reason to take the full six weeks of winter break to chill out and have some time to yourself. Embrace the fact that you put yourself first and gave yourself a much needed vacation from life.

Do not compare your winter break to others’. Don’t be ashamed that you didn’t do anything “cool” or “adventurous”, because come on, I personally think being able to start and complete an entire series in just a few weeks is a pretty impressive feat.

I’m all about productivity and putting your time to good use, but college life is stressful. We are so overwhelmed while the semester is in session that we all deserve a break every now and then. If your outlet to relaxation is putting your feet up, staying in PJs all day and watching some of your favorite shows, then go for it!

Next time someone asks you what you did over break hold your head up high and say “I watched Netflix and relaxed because I deserved to.”

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.