This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you like finding television shows that allow you to just be mindless.

Thirty-minute sitcoms that allow your short attention span to flourish and give you entertainment without having to watch each minute in detail are in my opinion the best shows. This semester, I have rediscovered Grounded for Life, a sitcom that used to play on Fox and The WB for five seasons from 2001-2005. It follows the couple Sean and Claudia Finnerty, Sean’s clueless and crazy brother Eddie, and their three children, Lily, Jimmy and Henry, while they live in Staten Island and deal with the wacky and comical trials and tribulations of life.

Here’s three reasons why you should start watching now:

1. Lily

The stereotypical teenage daughter, Lily gets herself into all kinds of trouble throughout the series, from drinking underage to performing a risqué Burlesque number at her Catholic high school’s talent show. She’s witty and dramatic and gives Sean and Claudia a run for their money every time while offering much of the comedic relief to the show.

Image Source

2. Sean & Claudia’s relationship

Besides dealing with their three rambunctious children and almost always drowning in work shifts trying to pay their bills, Sean and Claudia are definitely #couplegoals. Despite the rough beginnings of their relationship (Sean got Claudia pregnant in high school) they have a great love for each other that overcomes all their obstacles.

Image Source

3. Eddie

Eddie is the definition of oddball. The less impressive Finnerty brother with no real success in life, he is always trying to con Sean and Claudia into giving them money or getting involved in a pyramid scheme. But, throughout the series you can see that he has a real love for his family, even though he has a very twisted way of showing it.

Image Source

So, if you have Amazon Prime, definitely check out Grounded for Life. You’ll be laughing the whole time, and you won’t even have to keep your eye on it for the full twenty-two minutes.

Olivia Grasing is a journalism student who aspires to work in the fashion/lifestyle industry.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.