kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why You Should Love Your Body the Way it is

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I understand the phrase “you should love your body” is much simpler to say than actually do, but it’s important for everyone to experience self love (And yes, that means loving your body!). So here are 5 reasons why you should love your body the way it is:

1. Your body has been with you through it all

The body you have right now, though it may have gone through changes through the years, is still the same body that has stuck with you through thick and thin. Whether it be breakups, birthdays, mental health issues, good days, and bad days, etc. it is one and the same. So why would you treat it like it has done you wrong? Your body is your most fierce friend who will literally never abandon you. 

2. Your body holds important organs inside

Your body houses all of your organs for you. It contains your beautiful heart and your equally beautiful stomach. And not to forget, the brain that makes you the smart individual you are. So perhaps your stomach sticks out, but that’s okay and it’s natural! If anything, now there’s just more of you to love. 

3. Your body is constantly working 24/7 to keep you alive

Everyday, every minute, every second your body is pumping blood, rushing oxygen to your lungs, and killing germs. Your body is your protector and works day and night to make sure you’re healthy. So if you can not love your body yet, how about just start appreciating what it’s done for you. 

4. You don’t have to hate your body in order to change it

Friends have told me countless times they hate their bodies and want to lose weight. BUT these phrases shouldn’t be mutually exclusive! If you want to change the way your body looks, that’s fine as long as you do so in a healthy way with the right intentions. But you shouldn’t want to lose weight because you hate the way your body looks. Trust me, I’ve been through this torturous cycle of dieting and exercising with the sole goal of losing weight, but it doesn’t work because our bodies aren’t meant to go on diets (That’s a different topic I won’t get into right now!). The point is: even if you want to change the way your body looks, you should still love, or at least respect, the body you have now. 

5. Your body is not a measure of your worth or beauty

In today’s society, a lot of people believe that the way they look determines their worth and beauty. Well let me just say, IT DOES NOT. You are worthy and beautiful already, regardless of what your body looks like. Your worth comes from what you give to the world, from what you love to do, from all the strangers you’ve helped, and all the love you’ve given to others. Your beauty is radiant in moments when you’re happy and don’t give a care in the world about what other people think. You’re beautiful simply because you are you. 

Loving your body will not happen overnight. It takes constant effort and practice. Perhaps you don’t begin with love, how about just appreciation? Any step towards loving and accepting your body in the way it is now is a good step. You are worthy and deserving of love and respect, so start loving yourself!

P.S. Here’s a list of inspirational people to follow that are body positive!

Megan Crabbe IG: BodiPosiPanda

Molly Margaret IG: whatswrongwithmollymaragaret

Jameela Jamil IG: Jameelajamilofficial

Angie Tamayo is a junior at The College of New Jersey. She studies English and Secondary Education with a Social Justice minor. During her free time she enjoys binge-watching shows, playing with her pet beagle, and painting horrible portraits.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.