Style > Beauty

Why You Should Invest in Selena Gomez’s Makeup Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

2020 was a long, hard year for many people—including singer, actress, and multifaceted beauty icon Selena Gomez. The former Disney star and current pop sensation made the year her own though, starting off the disastrous 12 month stretch by releasing her critically acclaimed third solo album, Rare, and closing it out on the cover of People Magazine after being named one of their four People of The Year. Alongside Dr. Anthony Fauci, Regina King, and George Clooney, Gomez was in good, well-deserving company.

The Texas-born global icon continued to make her mark on the entertainment industry over the past year. Just a handful of projects she undertook included releasing six official music videos, collaborating with the likes of BLACKPINK and Trevor Daniel, executively producing two romantic comedies, and started filming her upcoming Hulu series, Only Murders in the Building. Although she accomplished all of that and more (with flying colors), it was the launch of her beauty company that cemented Gomez’s place in all corners of the media and fashion industries.

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez was announced by the star in February 2020 on her Instagram. In this first look at the brand and her products, fans got to see the popstar working hard in the Rare Beauty offices, testing products, building vision boards, and having important conversations about makeup, self esteem, and social media. “I’ve stopped trying to be perfect, I just want to be me,” Gomez stated in the introductory video’s voiceover. 

This brand was over two years in the making at the time of the teaser, making it three years in existence now. The products first dropped online at RareBeauty.com and at Sephora stores in September. The late summer release included a waterproof eyeliner, a compact of powder and blotting sheets, concealer, highlighters, liquid blushes, and most importantly, foundation. With 48 shades of foundation (and corresponding concealers, blushes, etc.), Gomez was clearly insistent on inclusivity. The lightweight, “second-skin” product is buildable, blendable, and available to match easily in person and online through in-depth quizzes that will match your shade and skin type. Having been made up on television sets, at photoshoots, and for live shows for most of her life, Selena Gomez knew what she wanted out of her products and set out to create them. 

No more mixing shades to hopefully match your skin—there are tens of options now! No more runny, smudgy, wingless eyeliner—there’s a smooth, foolproof option now! No more uncomfortable skin reactions—there are healthier options now! 

That’s right, on top of the inclusive, widespread, and immersive products that Rare Beauty sells, they are also good for your skin. Whether it be moisturizing elements or chemical-free formulas, Selena Gomez’s makeup brand has it all. There are no chemicals, harsh ingredients or scents, and still so many colorful, practical products to choose from. Also, their products’ packaging is completely recyclable and the products are not tested on animals. Not to mention that everything is hypoallergenic and vegan, while still being pigmented and full coverage.

What’s most important about Rare Beauty, and a big reason why you should invest, is the message and statement behind the company. The brand’s website states their mission: “Rare Beauty is breaking down unrealistic standards of perfection. ​This is makeup made to feel good in, without hiding what makes you unique—because Rare Beauty is not about being someone else, but being who you are.”

“We are on a mission to help everyone celebrate their individuality by redefining what beautiful means. We want to promote self-acceptance and give people the tools they need to feel less alone in the world. ​  Our vision is to create a safe, welcoming space in beauty—and beyond—that supports mental well-being across age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, cultural background, physical or mental ability, and perspective. ​ We believe in the beauty of imperfections. We nurture a caring, respectful community. ​We create meaningful connections and relationships. ​We champion authenticity and positivity. We lead with transparency to build trust. We believe there is power in being vulnerable.”

As Selena Gomez is a constant advocate for others, real life struggles, and social and political issues, it only made sense that alongside the creation of her positivity-laced beauty brand came some level of charity, support, and education. The Rare Beauty Impact Fund was launched with the company in support of mental health awareness and bringing the resources needed to promote vital mental health resources into underserved communities. Through partnerships with local, national, and global organizations and nonprofits, Gomez, Rare Beauty, and the Impact Fund is committed to raising $100 million in the first 10 years of operation. A lofty goal, but an increasingly important one.

Rare Beauty’s website, social media presence, products, and packaging all promote being comfortable in your most authentic, original you. Your individuality makes you special and this brand’s lightweight, but colorful line of beauty items are meant to enhance that and enhance your natural you. As well, all of that promotes mental health awareness and showcases resources that can be utilized when needed. The contact information and organization details for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, the Crisis Text Line, The Trevor Project, and United for Global Mental Health are all available online and on packaging.

Also, furthering their resources and providing their commitment to their consumers, the Rare Beauty team includes a stacked team of 13 mental health professionals, authors, and activists. The Rare Beauty Mental Health Council features leaders and directors of various organizations that promote and serve positive mental health purposes. Working hand in hand with the creative beauty team and Gomez herself, the Mental Health Council is playing a large role in the products distributed and the messages put forth to the public.

From glossy lip balms (a new Rare Beauty release) to lightweight foundation (a Rare Beauty staple), Rare Beauty is a makeup company that the greatest of makeup artists can get behind and the simplest of users can get creative with. If you support positive action for mental health practices and resources, love your own ‘rare’ qualities, and are here for inclusive, healthy, and high quality beauty products, Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez is for you—and everyone else.

Debra Kate Schafer is a Journalism and Professional Writing major at TCNJ with a background in music journalism, newspaper writing, and radio. When she's not writing, she can be found playing with her dog, laughing at her own jokes, talking about Harry Styles, and eating too much sushi for her own good.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.