This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

This past weekend I was granted the opportunity to attend the Women’s march in Washington D.C. and it was one of the most eye opening, heart warming and rewarding experiences. Women of all walks of life attended from all backgrounds, races, and religions fighting the same battle.

As I marched with my friends we were amazed to see the amount of people that showed up. Everywhere we looked we saw signs that were aimed either towards the new President and his cabinet, or signs that were uplifting and showcased what it meant to be a strong independent woman.

While my friends and I marched together, several people came up to us to take pictures of our sign that read, “Muslims believe in equality and justice for all,” while others interviewed us. However, the most striking were the women who walked towards us to tell us that they are with us, they will fight for us, that we have a place in this country and they will make sure of it. These words were so needed especially in a time of fear, division and hatred, these words reopened the hope I once felt for this country. It was enduring knowing that I am not alone in this world and that someone somewhere will fight with me and for me.

So, what can we do now?

The march is over and people are still talking about it, which is great, but we need to continue moving forward and making sure our voice is heard. The election is over and we cant change the results, unfortunately, but that does not mean we do not stop bringing change whether it is in our local community, our hometown, or even on a national level.

We should educate those around us who are unaware of the issues that are bothering a majority of Americans as well as those who marched. We should call our local congressman, senators, or mayors who have a large say in what goes on not only in the country, but also on a daily level. We should stay informed about the issues surrounding our country and not ignore the true facts. We should attend peaceful protests and marches that will gain attention and send a message to those who are higher up. Lastly, we should work to unite with those who feel like they do not have a place in this country or feel misplaced and let them know that there are people who will have their back just as those women did for my friends and I.

Marching around and noticing people of all ages and backgrounds sends a strong message to the new president and the government. It shows that regardless of the hate rhetoric and the lies that continue to be spread by the administration, those who they have tried to bring down will only stand up because we are stronger together.

“Here’s to strong women. May we know them, may we be them, may we raise them”

A current elementary education student at TCNJ. I have a passion for teaching, I love to write, watch TV, I'm a foodie and love anything related to fashion/beauty!
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.