This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

There are plenty of misconceptions of what it means to play rugby. The most popular: rugby players are lean, mean, and tackling machines. Sorry to blow your mind, but pretty much none of that is true. When I first joined, I believed a lot of the misconceptions as you may. However, I quickly fell in love with the one sport many people are terrified to play.

Rugby offers a position to just about any body type imaginable. Of course, fitness is a large component of the game; however, it is not the be all end all. The more fit your team is, the more your team will succeed. Rugby has taught me that hard work and dedication will always pay off in the end. From the practices in the blazing sun to the practices in the freezing cold, rugby players persevere for the sport that they love and push themselves to limits unimaginable. This goes for on and off the field. Every time I drag myself to the gym, I know it is going to help me and my team in the long run. So, while most players are pretty lean, you don’t have to be to try to play the sport.

IMG Source Emily Brooks

Rugby players, especially at The College of New Jersey, are the most kind hearted human beings I have ever met. As much as the game is about tackling your opposers, it is also about good sportsmanship and team bonding. I entered the team with strangers and gained a forever family within a short amount of time. The support and trust built between the women’s rugby team is unbreakable; this bond is something like no other. You must trust that your teammates will always be with you through the tackles and breakaways for support. You must trust that they will be the first people to ask if you are okay in a time of need. Communication is important on and off the field to create a cohesive and seamless team. This sport creates lifelong friendships and bonds that will never be broken.

IMG Source Emily Brooks

Tackling is one of the most important aspects of the game of rugby. Not only is tackling important for winning the game, it is important for the safety of players. Most may think that tackles are careless and on the fly, however, tackles are strategically planned and perfected through practice. It may look dangerous, but coaches teach players how to safely tackle opposers and protect themselves. Safety is a large aspect of rugby, which many observers don’t realize. I was once timid and afraid to fully commit to a tackle or play, but through practice and experience I have learned that it is really the only way to play safely rugby. Dangerous play ruins the game for the players, coaches, and refs.

IMG Source Emily Brooks

To play rugby means having courage, technique, and big heart. If you are even slightly interested in playing rugby, I highly encourage you to join your local team. Playing on The College of New Jersey Women’s Rugby team is a privilege and I could not imagine my life without it.

Shout out to my team and my coaches for being absolutely amazing and endlessly supporting each other. XOXO.

Emily is a junior at The College of New Jersey. She is double majoring in Elementary Special Education and English.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.