Week Four: Crazy Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I miss cheese. I miss burritos and cheeseburgers. I miss buttery popcorn and chocolate — Oh, chocolate! I miss ridiculously delicious food that tingles my jaw. I couldn’t fall asleep on Monday night because the smell of burritos filled my room… Or so I thought. I called my boyfriend, who was not happy about the 1 a.m. phone call, for a consult. He decided I was crazy and hungry, and that nobody was making burritos in my room… Guess that’s settled.

I’m avoiding T-Dubs for the rest of the week because my will power is definitely not strong enough! Knowing that in just a few days I will be able to enjoy mozzarella cheese is making this week the most difficult. I’m in a limbo phase where I want to stay vegan because I feel very healthy, but I want to enjoy a delicious meal in a restaurant without having to ask a million questions. So, maybe I’ll be veganish.

This whole experience has made me very aware of what I eat on a regular basis. It has been a learning experience and a time for personal growth. It has forced me to think about what I eat and where it comes from. Whether or not I continue as a vegan, I will always be more aware of where my food comes from, how the animals are treated, and what hormones and chemicals they are induced with. Considering my obsession with Whole Foods, I’m sure I’ll continue making smart choices, but I might indulge first…

Thanks for following Allison’s vegan journey!

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.