Wearsafe: It’s As Easy As A Push Of A Button

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Picture this: you’re walking back from a friend’s dorm just as night has fallen. For the most part, there aren’t many people out on campus in a near distance. However, you see out of the corner of your eye that a person who was previously sitting at the table you walked past, stood up after you and is now walking behind you. What do you do?

You could run over to a blue light and press it immediately, calling the campus police and notifying them of a potential danger. However, the person is directly behind you, and you’re not sure if they will attack you at the sight of you doing this. Or possibly, are you overreacting? Maybe it’s just a coincidence.

With Wearsafe, it’s as easy as a push of a button.

Wearsafe is an app that, along with its tag, can notify your trusted allies when you are in a potentially dangerous situation. Once you press the button on the tag, which can be easily attached to your key chain or clipped on your belt, the Bluetooth-paired app sends an alert to those you’ve chosen of your location and begins recording audio.

With each alert, responders have the ability to view sender’s profile – which includes their gender, height, weight, hair color, eye color, and any special medical conditions. This information can be very telling if someone goes missing.

The chosen contacts of the user will receive the alert in a group chat-like forum where they have the ability to listen to the recording audio, discuss the situation unfolding and press a button that informs the police.

The target audience for the product is U.S. college and university students, who may be concerned of the risk of assault and sexual assault, and athletes, where individuals may be engaged in high risk solitary activities such as hiking, running and biking.

This past summer, there were three deaths of female solo runners over the course of nine days in Michigan, New York, and Massachusetts.  

This past month, a TCNJ student was raped on campus in her dorm room.

Wearsafe is here to help. Crimes such as abductions, assault and sexual assault are ever so present on college campuses. Taking these safety precautions can only help in these potentially dangerous situations.Sources:

https://techcrunch.com/2015/08/11/wearsafe-is-a-connected-panic-button-for-the-app-generation/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wearsafe-personal-safety/id962104565?mt=8

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.
TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.