Ways to Incorporate Halloween in Your Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As children become increasingly excited in holiday festivities, their level of focus and self-management declines. Although holidays are not a negative aspect of the public school education, however, they provide a distraction that teachers find difficulty in managing. As a student teacher, I have increasingly noticed the distraction of Halloween floating around my classroom. Instead of banishing the talk of costumes and favorite candy, Halloween can very easily be incorporated into classrooms in a positive and educational light. Students learn best when they are interested and engaged in material, teachers should use the hype around this holiday to productively manage their class.

Writing Prompts

Writing is a perfect way to incorporate Halloween into the classroom! Students can work on narrative pieces that include the prompts…

1. It was a dark and stormy night…

2. Running down the street with candy flying, I saw…

3. They claim the house was haunted, but it looked okay to me, so… 

Students can work on argumentative pieces that include the prompts…

1. Convince a friend why you have the best Halloween costume.

2. Convince a friend why your favorite Halloween candy is the best.

IMG  Source

Books to Read

1. Room on the Broom by Julia Donald

2. Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverstein

3. Scary, Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting

IMG  Source

Math Activities

1. Halloween place value poem

2. Graveyard frequency tables

3. Hershey Kiss memory game

4. Incorporate Halloween festivities into math word problems

Bulletin Boards

IMG Source

Emily is a junior at The College of New Jersey. She is double majoring in Elementary Special Education and English.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.