This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

TikTok has introduced me to several new hacks, ideas, products, and most importantly, recipes! If you are looking for something fun, easy, and cheap to try out, look no further.

Here are some of the recipes I have tried out so far: 

Pink Drink

After spending several flex points on pink drinks, I wanted to know if I could make a cheaper version at home. So the simplest recipe I found was to use ‘Ocean Spray’ White Cran-Strawberry juice and ‘Silk’ sweetened coconut milk. Unfortunately, I could not find ‘Silk’ coconut milk at my grocery store, so I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk. Some versions say to do half juice and half milk and others say ¾ juice and ¼ milk. But, since you have total control, do whatever feels right to you. When I was making mine, I liked it the best when it was mostly juice and just a splash of coconut milk added. The taste was pretty similar, but a big difference is that the Starbucks version is caffeinated. 

Sushi Bake

I had been getting so many TikToks about sushi bake that I had to attempt this over spring break.

I used frozen salmon that was already seasoned and baked it before cutting it up. Then I cut up imitation crab and mixed it with cream cheese, sriracha, and kewpie mayo. I cooked my rice and packed it in the bottom of the glass pan. For the next layer, I didn’t have furikake so I shredded some seaweed and used it to cover the rice. After mixing everything together, I put the salmon and crab mixture on top. Before popping it in the oven for 10 minutes at 400, I drizzled kewpie mayo and sriracha and then sprinkled some sesame seeds on top. Once it came out, I sprinkled some chopped green onions on top and then used a seaweed packet to eat the rice with. 

This recipe was pretty tasty but, if I had to change something I would leave out the imitation crab and just stick with the salmon. Also, if you have leftovers, you can refrigerate them for a few days, but I found when I reheated them, the layers did not stay perfectly intact.

Pesto Eggs

This was a pretty straightforward recipe since it’s basically just using pesto as your cooking oil. All you have to do is place some pesto in the pan and then crack your eggs. When I make myself eggs I already put basil and oregano along with salt and pepper, so flavor-wise it wasn’t something new. It was a fun recipe to try but I don’t regularly buy pesto so this was a short-lived experience. Also, I do think using regular spray oil (I usually use avocado oil) makes it easier to get the eggs off the pan and is easier to clean.

3-Ingredient Ice Cream

I learned from TikTok that you can make ice cream with just heavy cream, condensed milk, and your flavoring of choice. The idea is you can make ice cream quickly and without any equipment. I have made 3-ingredient mango ice cream before, and I wasn’t too fond of the results. I wasn’t fond of the texture of it and thought it lacked some flavor. That was most likely because the mangoes I used weren’t ripe enough before making them into a puree. 

However, I did make key lime pie ice cream using an ice cream churner, and my results were much better. But I still only used heavy cream, condensed milk, lime juice, and crushed graham crackers as a topping. 

Emily Mariko’s Salmon and Rice Bowl

This TikTok recipe is probably my favorite, and I have made it several times already, but I didn’t use all the ingredients she lists in her video. I used my leftover rice and my seasoned and cooked salmon as my base, then I mixed in soy sauce, kewpie mayo, and some oyster sauce. The oyster sauce is something I decided to add because I had it in my fridge from making fried rice. After mixing it all, I used my seaweed snacks to eat with the rice and salmon. But I still haven’t tried this recipe with avocados or kimchi.

Avocado Hash Brown Toast

A while ago, everyone on TikTok raved about Trader Joe’s hash browns and the perfect breakfast recipe to spruce them up. And while I didn’t get my hands on that exact kind of hash browns, I did try out this recipe with some of my own additions. First, I made the avocado mix. I took one ripe avocado and mashed it with some avocado oil and lemon juice. After that, I added salt, some pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Then I made my eggs on the stove, over easy, and put my hash browns in my toaster oven so they’d be done around the same time. I sprayed my hashbrowns with avocado oil and seasoned them with some basil and oregano, and I kept my eggs simple with just salt and pepper. I didn’t use everything but the bagel seasoning, but I’m sure it would be a good crunch to sprinkle on top. Overall, this was a super easy and filling breakfast recipe. 

Emma Baby

TCNJ '25

Emma is a junior at The College of New Jersey. She is a Speech Pathology and Audiology major with a Deaf Studies minor.