Valentine’s Day Expectations vs. Reality: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Let’s be honest, we have all read the Nicholas Spark’s novels, seen every rom-com ever made, and spend each year dreaming that the approaching February 14th will be the most romantic one yet! While we may have the perfect night someday, we should probably put those hopes and dreams on hold for the next few years, because, well… it’s college. And in college, reality may not always meet our expectations. 

1. The Decorations:

Expectation: As this special day is approaching, we are all guilty of running to Pinterest to find the most creative, adorable room décor to really get us in the Valentine’s Day spirit. You immediately plan a shopping trip to get all the crafting supplies you’ll need after seeing a picture like this…

Reality: But then time gets away from us, homework builds up, naps become very necessary, and you find that, suddenly, it is February 13th and the best you can do is something along these lines…

2. The Romantic Dinner:

Expectation: If you have a significant other when February roles around, I’m sure you can’t help but picture the most romantic night of the year going a little something like this…

Reality: But let’s be honest, we’re all broke college student who can’t afford a fancy dinner out, so that’s definitely out of the question. So why not have a candlelit dinner ordered in, because that could be romantic too, right? Wrong. Candles aren’t allowed in dorm rooms, so that dinner turns into this…

3. The Treats:

Expectation: Okay so maybe everything else didn’t work out, but we all like sweet treats and how hard could it be to bake a cookie in the shape of a heart? We head to Pinterest for the cutest V-Day recipes and come across something delicious looking like this…

Reality: But then you remember either that A. You don’t have an oven in your dorm, or B. You don’t have talent in the kitchen- besides maybe eating. So, you resort to something simpler like this…

If any of these realities have happened to you, just laugh it off. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be all the hype is it made out to be in movies. Just spend the day with the people you love and treat it like any other day of the year!