Witchcraft Hero 01?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Witchcraft Hero 01?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Audrey Wu / Her Campus Media Design Team

Understanding Your Big Three

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In astrology, there is something many people refer to as your “big three.” Your sun sign, moon sign, and rising or ascending. Looking at these signs can help you identify more about your desires, who you are when no one is watching, or even how you cope with negative feelings.

Sun: Your sun sign refers to where the sun is in the sky during your time of birth. It helps you understand who you are fundamentally and the kind of energy you put out to others. You would probably connect more with your sun sign because it is who you are at your core and helps establish a sense of self. When talking to people of the same sun sign, you may realize you have similar wishes, goals, hopes, and fears.

If your Sun is:

The Earth signs (Virgos, Capricorn, and Taurus)– you often think in the present tense and worry less about past or future events. Being productive and checking items off your “to-do” list can usually help you recharge. It is ok to step away from a social situation when you become too overwhelmed. 

The Air signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius)– your expression is very intellectual as you know a bit of many things. It is very common for air signs to flourish in social situations as their social batteries can last quite a while. Your youthful energy has you fascinated with everything and makes you a great conversationalist. 

The Fire signs are (Sagittarius, Aries, and Leo)– you are very passionate and intrinsically motivated. Engaging in physical activities can be very beneficial for fire signs to recharge. Your dreams and desires will serve as a driving force that will help you achieve your goals. 

The Water signs (Pisces, Cancer, and Scorpio)– your emotions are the sole basis behind your decisions and reactions. This can cause you to become overwhelmed quickly and become more apprehensive about putting yourself out there. Mindfulness and meditation can help you understand your emotions and how to deal with them. 

Moon: While the sun sign represents the vibrations you radiate to others, your moon sign asks you to look more inward. This might be the sign you guess for yourself because it reflects who you are when you are your most private self or alone. It is the best indicator of your emotions, so looking at your moon sign can give you some good insight into coping with negative feelings. It can also tell us a lot about our habits, initial reactions, and instincts. The moon sign represents our inner needs and can tell us how we like to take care of ourselves.

If your Moon is:

The Earth signs (Virgos, Capricorn, and Taurus)– you react very positively to change and do not let shifts in plans get to you. You are always level-headed and steady when making decisions. Try to stay on track; working towards your goals will give you the fulfillment you have been searching for.   

The Air signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius) are very objective when looking at a situation and trying to account for all points of view. Expressing your thoughts and interacting with others makes you feel most connected to your inner self. Continue exercising creativity in all aspects of your life. 

The Fire signs are (Sagittarius, Aries, and Leo)– your reaction to change is excited but apprehensive. In moments you are alone, you express great confidence and self-assurance. Try and practice more of that when in public or with friends. 

The Water signs (Pisces, Cancer, and Scorpio)- your emotional sensitivity can cause you many tears in the privacy of your own home. Being alone with your thoughts may be scary because that is when you process any negative emotions you have experienced. Listening to music when you are alone can help you sort through your feelings and aid in healing. 

Rising/ Ascending: Your rising is essentially the “disguise” or “mask” you present to the world. This might be the sign others would guess that you are. This can also reflect the first impression others have of you. This is the sign that rules over you socially and can help you make connections based on your communication. Your rising sign balances your inner desires and drives with your outer appearance and physical body. That is where you can find the motivation to achieve your goals.

If your Rising/Ascending is: 

The Earth signs (Virgos, Capricorn, and Taurus)– too many, you are a grounding force which means you are steady and reliable during any troubles. You’re a great listener and often consider all of the information before offering advice. Do not let other people’s stresses get in the way of your own. 

The Air signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius)– you are quick-witted, friendly, full of life, and very expressive both verbally and physically. You’re curious about your encounters with new people, places, and things. Keep being decisive and direct with your actions and movements. 

The Fire signs are (Sagittarius, Aries, and Leo)– your physicality and passion make each of your actions appear very purposeful. You make your presence known and radiate a strong sense of wisdom. Be careful; your confidence may come across as cockiness.
The Water signs (Pisces, Cancer, and Scorpio)– your sensitivity can make you sympathetic or empathetic towards others. You may be more likely to solve problems using emotions rather than logic. Try not to be too influenced by your environment or surroundings.

Hi, I am a Junior Communications major at TCNJ who is interested in fashion, college lifestyle and beauty content! I am in the Delta Zeta sorority, I am the President of the Junior Class Council and serve as the Her Campus President for the TCNJ chapter!