Trader Joes is Amazing, And Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Attention, everyone. If you’re currently on your way to Whole Foods for overpriced avocados and carrot juice, slow down, turn around, and head to Trader Joe’s instead. I was you once, perusing Whole Foods each weekend and feeling like a green goddess. I love eating clean and healthy, plus I love jumping on bandwagons every now and again, so Whole Foods seemed like the place for me. But, one day, my hippie vegan cousin steered me into Trader Joe’s, and I haven’t looked back ever since.

Trader Joe’s is your ideal spot for unique, cheap and quality food finds. Eighty percent of products carried at Joe’s are produced in-house, and this, plus the low amount of money spent on advertising, drives prices down for consumers.  Moving on from the boring, technical stuff, Trader Joe’s unique selection of goods is incredible, plus, all of their packaging is adorable. I’ve rounded up my favorite finds from Joe’s to spread my wisdom onto the Her Campus readers. You’re welcome in advance.

1.Trader Joe’s Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is a beautiful thing. It has so many uses, but my favorite is for makeup removal. Though it’s a little bit messy, putting some on a cotton ball takes off all stubborn makeup, including eye makeup, which is my favorite thing about coconut oil. But even though all coconut oil is great and I’ve used dozens of brands, Trader Joe’s is my favorite. The jar lasts forever, and it’s only $5!

Photo Source: Trader Joes

2. Honey Butter Chips

I never thought any chip would out-do my favorite Herr’s Sour Cream and Onion chips, but — I’m so sorry, I still love you Herr’s — these did. For those who love sweet and salty, these chips are right up your alley. You can actually taste the honey, which, when mixed with the salty potato goodness, is a perfect combination.

Photo Source: Trader Joes

3. White Cheddar Corn Puffs

This giant bag was only $1.99. And it’s delicious. It also tastes way better than its pricey brand-name counterpart, Pirate’s Booty.

Photo Source: Trader Joes

4. $1 Oatmeal Cups

This is a fantastic oatmeal in a perfect portion for $1. I love the tart cherry, and cooked with almond milk and a drizzle of honey, it’s super delicious.

Photo Source: POPSUGAR

5. Flowers & Plants

Trader Joe’s has a huge selection of beautiful flowers and plants to brighten up any dorm room — I just bought sunflowers and daisies last week!

Photo Source: Patriot Place 

6. Mediterranean Hummus

This hummus is pungent and delicious. It has triple the flavor of the brand-name stuff and the portion size is great. The pita chips it comes with are really tasty too.

Photo Source: familystylenutrition.com 

7. Pumpkin Pancake and Waffle Mix

Pumpkin waffles and pancakes. Enough said.

Photo Source: Trader Joes

8. Soy Creamy Cherry Chocolate Chip

Photo Source: Trader Joes

Non-dairy peeps, rejoice!! You all understand the struggle of finding a non-dairy pint that satisfies the way the milk-stuff does, and I love this one! I love Ben and Jerry’s non-dairy pints as well, but the consistency of the TJ’s one is creamier. (I’m sorry Ben and Jerry’s, only love!) 

Cover Photo Source: reviewed.com 

Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.