The Top 5 Summer Music Festivals on the East Coast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

1. Firefly

Firefly Music Festival is located in Dover, Delaware at The Woodlands of Dover International Speedway (which according to Google Maps is only about a two hour road trip from The College of New Jersey) and will last from June 18-21.  This year’s lineup ranges from Paul McCartney, who besides his amazing work with The Beatles has recently produced a song with Kanye West and Rihanna, to Snoop Dogg who will probably end up throwing a threw “fo’ schizzles” out there sometime throughout the four day weekend. There are camping accommodations on the grounds, along with a brewery and “Hammock Hangout.” Don’t have the money for tickets? Try signing up to be a volunteer for the weekend, and in return receive discounted camping and festival pass.

2. The Governor’s Ball

The Governor’s Ball is probably more convenient for those located in Central- North Jersey considering it’s right in Randall’s Island Park in New York City. This festival only lasts for three days (June 5-7) but still packs a punch. The lineup includes rapper and actor Drake who’s always “just swangin” and the upbeat indie-rock tones of The Black Keys along with various other artists. Unlike other music festivals, The Governor’s Ball does not having camping accommodations but instead provides hotels in the area for those traveling a long distance. Besides the music, there are photo and gift booths and lawn games that include “Life- size Connect Four” and Corn Hole.

3. Electric Daisy Carnival

The Electric Daisy Carnival, or EDC, is located at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey and is the home of house music. Popular house music DJs like Afrojack and Calvin Harris will be performing this year, and this festival only lasts for two days from May 23-24 with no on-site accommodations. This music festival includes a few whimsical sculptures ranging from a huge metal daisy to a gigantic glowing caterpillar. There are also free rides for guests to enjoy, like a multi-colored Ferris wheel and swing rides that are sure to contribute to the dizziness of the night. 

4. Newport Folk Festival

Even though Johnny Cash is gone, that doesn’t mean people can’t still get together to enjoy some folk music. Newport Folk Festival is taking place at Fort Adams in Rhode Island, and comprises of four stages for the artists to perform on with hotels and camp grounds in the area for those who need a place to sleep. Some of this year’s lineup includes Iron and Wine (who’s song “Flightless Bird” played in the first Twilight movie), Shakey Graves, and Courtney Barnett. If there are any people out there who want other people to hear their sound, this festival allows for its attendees to “share their tunes” at the Martin Jam Stage and there are provided instruments there in order to do so. Maybe next year you’ll be the one performing at Newport.

5. Vans Warped Tour

Warped Tour is unlike other music festivals because this one travels to the people. Warped Tour goes all around the country from west to east and then back again, and lasts for one day in each city it visits. This year the festival is popping up all over the East Coast, ranging from New York all the way down south to Florida. Consisting of mostly alternative music, this year Warped Tour is hosting Asking Alexandria, Mod Sun, and their website’s featured band the A+ Dropouts. Doors open at 11 a.m. and usually close at 9 p.m. according to their website, but there is a shorter entry line for those who donate canned goods at a designated location outside of the festival grounds. Thinking about sneaking back stage? Scratch that-instead just donate blood at a Music Saves Lives blood center prior to the show and join the line to get one of the 100 free backstage passes for those that participate. Sounds worth it to me!

My name is Kaitlyn Njoroge and I am a Sophomore Journalism/ Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. I have experience in online and print writing, and am looking to intern this summer or next year at a magazine or broadcast company. The only word that rhymes with my last name is pierogi, which isn't as fun as it seems because it's my least favorite food in the world. Also, if anyone is interested in reading my posts geared towards feminism, you can also check out my blog at kaitlynnjoroge.wordpress.com