This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

There’s something so addicting about reading a good thriller/ mystery novel. Not being able to put the book down and staying up way too late to keep reading are two of my favorite things! Out of the many that I have read, here are my current top 5 best thriller mystery novels.

1. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Fir

This story follows Anna Fox, a recluse in her New York City home. We don’t learn much about Anna until the end of the novel, but it’s very clear from the start, that she has suffered some type of trauma. Because she is unable to leave her home, she spends the majority of her days binge drinking and spying on her neighbors. Anna soon sees something about her neighbors that she was not supposed to see and it unleashes all sort of chaos into her life.

This book is so good, I read the entirety of it in only four days! I was so addicted to the unique storyline and the constant twists and unexpected turns. You will never expect the massive secret that becomes exposed in the end!

IMG Source

2. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

This novel, tells the haunting tale of Camille Preaker, who returns to her hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri to cover the story of two young girls who were murdered. There, Camille has to face her repressed childhood trauma, in order to help solve the mystery surrounding these murders.

You may have seen the amazing short series adaption of this novel on HBO this past summer, if not watch ASAP! I 1000% recommend watching it, but like most novel adaptations, the book is so much better!

3. The Girl Before By Rena Olsen

This story follows Clara Lawson, a wife and mother who gets seperated from her family, when her home gets invaded by armed men. The last thing that her husband says to her is to say nothing. She finds herself questioning if her entire life has been a lie, when the men who take her begin questioning her about her past and call her by a different name.

This novel is very interesting to read because it switches between past and present and it slowly divulges small details about Clara’s mysterious life. It is addicting to read because it leaves you wanting to solve the mystery that is Clara’s life!

4. Girl on the Train by  Paula Hawkins

This novel falls under the psychological thriller genre and follows Rachel Watson, a 32-year-old alcoholic, suffering from depression from the end of her marriage. Her ex husband Tom, left her for another woman and she frequently harasses them during her blackouts. During one of her drunken nights, she sees something that later becomes important information to a missing persons case.

The novel was made into a very entertaining film in 2016, but I highly suggest reading the novel first! Although the movie is very good, there are so many amazing details that just don’t get translated into film!

5. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

This novel deals with the Satanic cult hysteria that swept the United States in the 1980s. The story follows Libby Day, the sole survivor of a Satanic cult ritual that killed her mother and two sisters. Following her escape, she testifies in court against her teenage brother. But finds many years later that he may be innocent.

This novel is so addicting to read because it’s so different from many typical mystery novels. There is a film adaption that I have never watched, but it’s definitely on my list!

IMG Source

President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!
Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.