Style > Beauty

Top 5 Best Self Tanners to Keep Your Summer Tan Going Throughout the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The leaves are changing, the air is cooling, Halloween is approaching – and your skin is turning pale enough that you could go as your ghostly self for Halloween! But it doesn’t have to be that way. Fall is one of the best seasons because there are so many fun and photo worthy activities to do! Instead of looking washed out under the cloudy skies, you can keep yourself tan and vibrant even in dreary weather! A lot of people have a stigma against self tanning, the common things against it are that it’s thought to be unhealthy or that it makes someone orange. But this isn’t the case! Here are some of the best self tanners that aren’t bad for your skin and won’t make you orange!   

5. Tan Towel

I first started using Tan Towel right before spring break of this past year. I was automatically interested in it because a lot of my other self tanners had been lotion or mousse consistency. Unlike these other brands, tan towel comes in little packets and looks just like hand wipes. The directions say to simply take the towelette and rub it all over your body. I was pretty pleased with the amount of tan that comes with only one towelette. I was pretty hesitant when I first saw the size of it, but it did distribute an even glow. The reason I put this as #5 is because if not applied correctly and evenly, it can look very streaky because, unlike with a lotion or mousse self tanner, you can’t tell if you went over a certain area or not so it’s a lot more obvious when you miss a spot. Also, it is a little pricey, a box of 5 towelettes cost $29 and you only get five uses from them.

4. Jergens Natural Glow

This was actually the very first self tanner I had ever used and it’s really good for a nice subtle tan. You have to use this product a few times to get a very noticeable tan, which is nice because it is buildable and you can control how dark you want to get. I typically buy the darker shade because that shows up much faster for me. I also really like this product because it is extremely affordable and can be bought for $10 at any drug store. Not only is it cheap, but you get 7.5 oz which is almost double the amount of some really expensive brands. The only critique that I have, which places it a #4, is that it has a strong scent. It’s not necessarily a bad one, but it is extremely noticeable and it will make your clothes, bed sheets, and anything else your body comes into contact with smell like it. But other than that, it is easy to apply, cheap, and gets the job done.

3. Loving Tan Deluxe Bronzing Mousse

This self tanner is a little bit more high end due to the expensive price tag of  $35 and the fact that you’re only getting about 4 oz. This product lasted me a few months, it depends on how often you would apply. I typically tan about twice a week, unless there is a specific event happening which I would tan more frequently. Something really great about this product is that it applies in color, so you can see exactly where you missed a spot or if there is streakiness that can be fixed before it dries down. It gives really great color and the dry time isn’t too bad. But like all self tanners, it will rub off and look blotchy if it is disturbed before drying. The only thing that I can critique is that if you forget to exfoliate before applying, it will not blend well and could lead to dark patches. This is obviously not the case if you exfoliate, which is why I have it in my top 3.

2.  St. Tropez Classic Bronzing Mousse

This was my all time favorite self tanner for quite a while and it still is really great. It applies so evenly and has intense pigment that doesn’t fade for days after applying. Most times, after one or two showers, self tanner fades rather quickly but I found myself not even having to apply twice a week but only once. That is why the expensive price tag seems very worth it to me. It sells as 1.69 oz bottle for $18, a 4 oz bottle for $32, and as a 7 oz bottle for $42. I think it’s great because you can choose which one you want to buy and if it’s your first time using it you don’t have to buy a $42 bottle and end up not liking it. The only downside to this product is that you absolutely must purchase the tanning mitt, which costs about $7. Often times you can get away with applying self tanner with your hands if you quickly wash them after the application. But that is definitely not the case with this product because it sticks to your palms and will leave you with brown splotches all over your hands even if it’s only on them for a minute. But once you buy the mitt, you can use it forever and it can be used for any other tanner as well.   

1. Hampton Sun Sunless Tanning Gel

I have tried many different self tanners, more than just these five. And I can confidently say that this is the absolute best self tanner I have ever used. This is unlike any other self tanner I have tried because it is a gel. At first I didn’t think it would be much different than a mousse or lotion, but it is so much easier to apply. It glided over my body so fast and evenly that it took me half the amount of time that I would usually apply my self tan. Not only that, but my skin felt amazing for days after the application! I did some research and found that the formula has so many natural ingredients designed to help nourish skin not only darken it. Some ingredients include Walnut Extract, Aloe Vera, and Chamomile, which leaves the skin incredibly smooth and moisturized. To be honest, when I first bought Hampton Sun, I was a little questionable of the fact that it was a gel. This was mostly because I had never used anything like it and I assumed that it would leave a sticky film once it dried, but it never did. Also, the product never truly dries down because of the natural ingredients that make you feel so moisturized so I usually just wait a few minutes after the application to put clothes on to void any blotchiness, which I have never had with this product. The only con to this product is that it only is sold in a 4 oz bottle for $36, which is expensive but in my opinion it is so worth it because not only are you getting the tan that you want, but you’re also getting so many great things for your skin.

President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!
Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.