Style > Beauty

Tik Tok Beauty: From the Eyes of Beauty ‘Tik Toker’ Lauren Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The vast, gaping hole of time that is quarantine is what first properly introduced me to the world of Tik Tok. Before downloading the app, I had only a slight idea of what it would consist of as I was an avid user of Vine back in the day.

That being said, there is something about this app that is slightly different from Vine. There are far more vast communities of niche interest groups, as well as daily relatable content that has me laughing silently to myself as I scroll through my phone almost every day.

Users are unapologetically themselves on this app in a way that I have never witnessed before, especially when it comes to serious topics, such as social justice and change. I couldn’t be prouder of the evergrowing Tik Tok community and their efforts to passionately create.

The community on this app that I tend to gravitate towards is the beauty, lifestyle, and self-love community. There is such a powerhouse of raw talent on this app. Today, I want to delve into the world of makeup Tik Tokers.

I had the absolute pleasure of getting to interview one of my most favorite creators on this app and across all social media. Lauren B. Brown (also known as @RaggedyRoyal) is a perfect example of a creator who is truly serving on this platform. Her technique, as well as charisma on camera, is delivered flawlessly through her videos and looks. Her responsiveness to fans and creators alike, and honest product recommendations, only make you want to love and support her even more.  She even kick-started the popular trend of colored lashes and has been interviewed by the likes of Allure and Glamour Magazine.

I had the privilege of asking her a few questions regarding her beginning, and any advice she would have for future creators that may want to delve into the Tik Tok biz: 

So, what does makeup mean to you?

Makeup is more than just a tool to cover less-than-desirable parts of ourselves. It is a magnifying glass into our experiences and interests. Makeup is anything and everything that you make it. It is a way to hide and a way to draw attention. It is a hobby, a stress reliever, a moneymaker, and something I often bond with others over.

First beauty experience?

I received my first makeup kit at the age of three. Of course, it was nothing like the brushes and palettes I play in today, but it was pretty fancy for a toddler. 

Do you feel that social media enhances the beauty community?

Social media enhances the beauty community in some ways and harms it in other ways. It’s fantastic because it provides influencers with jobs, enthusiasts with a community, and makeup newbies with a space to learn. However, there are negative people and harmful ideologies that are more easily spread with the addition of social media.

How do you deal with negative comments?

As for negative comments, I live by the motto “lions don’t lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.” I usually just let them be, as I feel it cheapens me if I’m going back and forth with people on the timeline. I also have a 2 reply limit when it comes to “arguing.”

Advice to anyone who may want to get into makeup? 

My wisest piece of advice is experiment, experiment, experiment! Do not be afraid to try different techniques, styles, and products. While beauty influencers are a great guide, the best way to learn what works best for you is through trial and error. Also, don’t worry about buying every launch and breaking the bank. When you find a product that you and your routine loves, don’t rush to replace it with the newest product on the market. Lastly, always invest in setting powder.

Goals for the future?

My main goal right now is to find a way to be as productive as possible, while also staying organized and sane. My other goals include: getting verified, winning an American Influencer Award, and being the face of a cosmetic product launch.

Interviewing Lauren was an opportunity that I am incredibly grateful for and has only made my love for the beauty community grow even more. I have such an appreciation for Tik Tok Beauty and all of the amazing artists that have an ample platform to showcase their talents on. I wish Lauren nothing but the best for the future and can’t wait to see what she accomplishes! 

And P.S… hopefully, this encouraged anyone reading this to not be afraid to showcase their talents and things they are passionate about, go out and get it!

Grace Reynoso is a Senior Communications Major with a Public/Mass Media track. She is originally from Ridgewood, New Jersey and has always been into all things beauty, fashion, and music! Grace also loves creating new looks on her makeup page and writing songs! Follow her on Instagram: @grace.reynoso, her makeup IG @glossbygracie_, and on Spotify: @urfriendgrace
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!