social justice while social distancing?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
social justice while social distancing?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Directed by and starring Amy Poehler, Moxie is Netflix’s newest original movie. Based on a book by Jennifer Matthieu, Moxie is about a girl who creates an anonymous zine about the sexism happening at her school. I admit, I chose to watch the movie because my current celebrity crush just so happened to be the main love interest. After seeing Nico Hiraga in Booksmart, another incredible movie, I knew I had to watch this one. I came for Nico, but stayed for the plot.

I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. While there were some parts that annoyed me, I enjoyed it overall. It was very empowering and female driven, and that was obvious through the script. It was a fairly diverse cast, too, especially with a half-Asian love interest. I think this movie did a great job of highlighting girls’ struggles in high school, from a white girl’s perspective. The only reason why the main character ever decided to do anything was because the new girl, who happens to be an outspoken black girl, made a comment about how she wouldn’t stand for the blatant sexism and bullying by the most popular guy in school. I just think that if the dialogue was written by a woman of color, things would have been a bit different. But that might just be me nitpicking. Overall, I did enjoy the movie and I liked that it addressed real issues that girls have. It is so incredibly important to tell these stories, and Moxie did just that.

Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.