This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I recently heard a saying that goes “Look around at your five closest friends and that’s who you are.” I like that quote because it describes the part of friendship where you start adopting your friends’ characteristics. Your friends, along with your family, are the people that matter to you the most and who you spend the most time with. They’re people whose traits you like, so it’s inevitable that you pick up their habits and mannerisms, and it’s also inevitable that you learn things from them.

Here are 10 things I’ve learned from my friends; what are some things you’ve learned from yours?

1. Dedicate a few minutes every day to maintain your relationships and text the people you don’t see every day to make plans with them.

2. If someone has a quality you admire, adopt it. If it’s a good quality, it’s never a bad thing to have more people reflecting it.

3. It’s okay to let your emotions out and cry when you need to.

4. But then you should make no-cry pacts with each other.

5. Don’t burn your bridges with people you’ve had a conflict with; you’re the one who’ll have to deal with it if you let things go up in flames.

6. Don’t hesitate to talk to random people in your class and major, even if they’re basically strangers. You never know who you’ll find.

7. If someone says something hurtful to you, let it go and move on. You can’t pay attention to everyone’s negativity.

8. You are not here to entertain someone else’s bullshit. If anyone treats you like garbage, just walk away.

9. Things may not work out even if you give them everything you have, but that doesn’t mean you stop giving everything you have.

10. Sometimes, you just need to wander without a plan and let the adventure find you. The best stories usually are the unplanned ones.

Anandita is a junior at TCNJ, majoring in economics and minoring in English