Things to be Grateful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Sometimes we forget what is important in life. We get wrapped up in so many thoughts and actions everyday and forget to think about all the things that have brought us to this point. As an act of meditation for one of my classes, we were asked to write down 10 things we were grateful for everyday for a week.

This is what I learned:

1. We all need to stop and take a moment to appreciate the good things in life. We all can be somewhat negative, but why be negative when you have so many things to be grateful for? Obviously this is easier said than done, but if you just make a conscious effort to think about some great things in your life, it might make you happier throughout the whole day! One day I was adding to my list and started it off with one of my best friends. Afterwards, I decided to give her a call to tell her how grateful I was for her. That ten-minute conversation was all I needed to add some positivity in my life.

2. It is okay to write down some material items. Sure, you may think you are sounding materialistic, but it’s a list for you and you only. If you have a favorite pair of sunglasses that make you smile every time you wear them, write it down! I tried my best to not put a lot of material items, but I had to list my phone. It is something that allows me to keep in touch with everyone and I love having it when I walk alone at night on campus.

3. If you find yourself not being able to list 10 items without having to stop and really think, that is okay too! By the fourth day, I found it super difficult to make it to ten items. I honestly put so many amazing things during the first few days that a lot of items really didn’t come to mind right away afterwards. Sometimes I would just look around my room or around campus and an idea would spark.

4. Keep a journal, you will not regret it. Being able to express yourself through writing is quite a powerful thing. I suggest keeping a journal and writing something in it almost everyday.

I now challenge YOU to write down 10 things you are grateful for each day for a week and see how you feel afterwards. I ended up learning a lot about myself, and I hope you will too! You can even try writing down a funny moment from each day or the best part about your weekend for a few weeks. You never know what will come from it, but you will not regret it.