This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The VMAs (Video Music Awards) was a few weeks ago and a lot happened. Big wins, beautiful outfits, beguiling performances, and an overall banger of a night! There is a lot to unpack, so let’s get into it!

MTV promised to all its viewers that there was going to be “history in the making” during the VMAs which was September 12, 2021, and they weren’t lying. Starting off with the wins of the night, the audience was able to see their favorite artist take home an award or more. One of the lucky winners was the new artist and singer of the hit album “Sour,” Olivia Rodrigo, who brought home 3 awards from the categories best new artist, song of the year, and push performance of the year. Justin Bieber was another big winner of the night when he won 2 awards in the categories best pop and artist of the year. BTS was also lucky as they won 3 awards in the categories best kpop, group of the year and song of the summer. Another artist that deserves a special shout-out is Lil Nas X who received 3 awards in the categories video of the year, best direction, and best visual effects. 

Other artists that won include Doja Cat and SZA for best collaboration, Saweetie for best art direction, Machine Gun Kelly for best alternative, Travis Scott for best hip-hop, Silk Sonic for best R&B and best editing, Billie Eilish and Rosalia for best Latin, Billie Eilish for video for good, Beyoncé for best cinematography, and Harry Styles for best choreography. There was also a special award given to Foo Fighters for global icons. John Mayer was also awarded best rock for his song “Last Train Home.” 

The VMAs are all about giving awards out to the most deserving artists, but the VMAs also have another key component to it, which is the performances. This year, the VMAs gave performances that will go down in history for being absolutely amazing. The award show kicked off with a performance from the nominee for best new artist, Kid Laroi, and the artist of the year, Justin Bieber, where they sang “Stay” and “Ghost.” The focus then turned to the winner of best artist, Olivia Rodrigo, where she gave a strapping performance of her popular song,
“Good 4 You.” The viewers then got to see astounding performances from Kacy Musgraves, Twenty-One Pilots, Ed Sheron, Ozuna, Foo Fighters, Alicia Keys and Swae Lee, Machine Gun Kelly, and Busta Rhymes.

Some of the performances that really stood out were Lil Nas X’s performance where he sang “Industry Baby” with Jack Harlow and “Montero: Call Me By Your Name.” Our very own VMAs 2021 host, Doja Cat, also performed her song “Been Like This” and “You Right” as she flew around in the air and performed an interpretive dance that wowed the viewers. We also got to see back-to-back performances from the sweet couple themselves, Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello. Then our eyes were blessed by performances from Chöle with her first solo song, “Have Mercy” and Normani with her new song, “Wild Side.” We also got performances from St John and Latto, and a special performance from Anitta who sang her popular song, “Girl From Rio.” All of these performances showed us how talented our favorite artists are and left us wanting more from each and every one of them.

The VMAs had awards presented out and astonishing performances, but what else stood out? Definitely, the extravagant outfits that all the artists were wearing. Some of the highlights of the night, in terms of outfits, were Lil Nas X, who came to the award show wearing a light purple top that was longer on one side and had rhinestones all over it. He also wore light purple pants with rhinestones on the bottom of them and light purple shoes. He looked absolutely stunning. Olivia Rodrigo wore a long pink and purple sleeveless dress. Another highlight was Avril Lavine, who wore pink, black, and white plaid pants and a jacket. The jacket had a cut out around the chest area where she wore a rhinestone half bra. Another striking look was from Megan Fox, who came with her boyfriend, Machine Gun Kelly. She wore a see-through long dress with rhinestones scattered throughout the dress. She also had on white lingerie which could be seen through the dress. Machine Gun Kelly came onto the red carpet in a red rhinestoned suit.

For more information on the best looks of the night and pictures of these stunning outfits, please check out Glamour.com for more details.

friends girls football college game spirit smile laugh sunglasses
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

We’ve talked about the outfits, the awards, and the performances, but there is something that hasn’t been addressed and that is the best moments from the VMAs. A lot happened, but one of the best moments would be when Madonna made her grand entrance at the beginning of the award show. She wore a black one-piece leotard with fishnet stockings and a peaked hat. She walked in like a boss then walked off like a boss. Another big moment was Cyndi Lauper who spoke about the needs and wants of women. She said women want to have fun but they also want funds, control over their bodies, and equal pay. Definitely a huge moment for all the women fighting for their rights. Another moment was from the hostess herself, Doja Cat, who was seen in quite a few outfits throughout the night. For more details about all her flamboyant outfits, visit wmagazine.com. 

From the fashion to the performances to the best moments, and the well-awaited awards ceremony, the VMAs truly was, “history in the making.” To all the artists that won, congratulations, and we can’t wait to see what’s in store from them in the future. Also, happy 40th birthday to MTV!

Maya McKelvey is currently a college student at The College of New Jersey where she studies Communication Studies and Professional Writing. Maya spends her time writing poems, short stories, scripts, and song lyrics. Maya also is well versed in dance which she has been doing for over 7 years. Maya is an open-minded person who believes in taking risks and chances. Maya is currently the Academic, Career, and Campus editor for The College of New Jersey's Her Campus chapter. Follow her if you'd like on snapchat and Instagram @y8awesome.