This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

If you’ve read my past articles, you would notice that I reference Kpop a lot. You would also notice that I never wrote a Kpop specific article. Well, guess what? The time has come where I write one for all you fellow Kpop lovers. For this article series, I will talk about 6 Kpop songs that need to be added to your playlist immediately.

Even if you’re not into Kpop–– and maybe just want some new tunes added to your playlist–– this series will definitely apply to you as well. These will be top-tier Kpop song recommendations that feature some of your favorite singers and/or singers that you’ve never even heard of before. I love Kpop and have really thrown myself into this type of music, so these may apply to anyone’s music taste. Let’s get into it!

“Stay Here” by Gaho

We start this playlist off with a more somber song that has become one of my go-to songs to get emotional. This song would probably be more favored to people that like slow songs with amazing vocal ranges. Gaho does a great job of varying his voice throughout the song with memorable lines. The song also incorporates an orchestra of different string instruments which makes it even more emotional. The orchestra is also is great in conveying the feeling of longing. If you love Gaho or slow songs or just want to get in your feels, “Stay Here” is a great song to add to your playlist. 

Favorite Line of the Song: “Please wrap me again, in the words of your belief in me.”

“I’m the one” By Bloo

The next song is one of my personal favorites because of the melody and the lyrics. Every time I hear the intro of this song, I know I’m about to embark on a journey of chill beats and smooth words of wanting someone to know that you are their one and only. This song never gets old, and I especially like the pre-chorus. Whenever I’m working and this song starts to play, I always have to push my homework aside and sink into my chair or bed, and let the music sensations take over. If you like BLOO or chill, catchy beats, you will definitely love having “I’m The One” in your playlist. 

Favorite Line of the Song: “You know I’m the one. Tell me that you love me” (especially at the last part)

“Empty” by Hwiyoung

This next one is not an officially released song, so you unfortunately can’t find it on Spotify, but it is available on YouTube. If you don’t know, Hwiyoung is a member of the Kpop group SF9. If you also don’t know, it’s common for idols to make solo songs, such as this excellent one. The first time I heard this song, I knew I had to add it to my playlist ASAP. It’s catchy and you can really hear all his feels in the lyrics. The song also has a great beat which always has me breaking into dance; though it is more of a heartbreak kind of song, which makes it great for sentimental purposes. If you like SF9 or Hwiyoung or hard beats with a deeper meaning, then please add “Empty” to your YouTube playlist. Also, you should check out SF9 if you’re interested in hearing more of Hwiyoung.

Favorite Line of the Song: “Let me escape from your path. From something to nothing, I might ruin it all one day. A luxury, yet full of emptiness. We’re circling around. Take my love. Take my love.”

“tear OF god” by Onlyoneof

The next song has been playing over and over in my head for the past couple of days. It just makes you want to jump on a stage and start dancing like nobody is watching. The song just pulls you in with the vocals and beats, and the intro and chorus are just so alluring. I especially love the chorus because of how catchy it is. This song is more about expressing lust and desire, and how it’s hard to get over it. This is a group I am trying to get more into because of how free-spirited and passionate their songs sound. If you like OnlyOneOf and songs that express desire, “tear Of gOd” would go great in your playlist. 

Favorite Line of the Song: “You and I don’t need to say anything. Even if I push you out, it pulls me in more.”

AND

“I can’t stop my lust. This dizzying sense. The broken hope that covers me. Forgive me tear Of gOd.”

“My love” by hojean

My Love is another one of those songs that are about… love. This song is in all English, for you English music lovers, and it expresses the need to have the person you love in your life. Hojean showcases his beautiful vocals and passionate message throughout the song which makes it very pleasing and nice to listen to. My favorite part is the chorus because I love how the music and his singing mush together. This is a good song if you finally found the love of your life and you want to express to them how they make your life right. If you like Hojean or love songs, check out “My Love” and maybe add it to your playlist.

Favorite Line of the Song: “I never really knew why. I never really made the time. If I can go back and make it right. I never really knew I could. I never really thought I should. Find another way to the end of the light.”

“Into the i-land” by I-land contestants

The last song is another one of my favorites. I first heard this song on Tik Tok because it was being used in the background for edits. I really liked the rawness in the way the singers were singing and the song was pretty catchy. I finally looked it up on YouTube and I found that this song was a cover sung by the contestants on a survival show called I-Land. This show was to gather the next big boy group which would then form into the members of Enhyphen (we’ll come back to this group later). There were 23 contestants that sang this song, and the way each of them got a part makes the song so much better. I love the occasional synchronization of their vocals, and also when they’re singing their own parts. The song was originally sung by another Kpop artist called IU, so I recommend listening to that version, too. The song just gives off an adventure kind of vibe that can be accomplished by working with your fellow teammates. I always want to sing this song to the top of my lungs! So, if you like Enhyphen, or catchy cover songs, or songs that scream adventure, then “Into the I-Land” sung by the I-Land contestants would be perfect for your playlist. 

Favorite Line of the Song: “Be my friend and let’s fight together, let’s just run for our lives. Hold my hand, promise me, let’s just run for our lives. The door to the future opens and I see the promised day, you and I, we can fly. You are another me, I am another you, let’s just run for our lives.”

Please enjoy the first week’s playlist of Kpop songs!

Maya McKelvey is currently a college student at The College of New Jersey where she studies Communication Studies and Professional Writing. Maya spends her time writing poems, short stories, scripts, and song lyrics. Maya also is well versed in dance which she has been doing for over 7 years. Maya is an open-minded person who believes in taking risks and chances. Maya is currently the Academic, Career, and Campus editor for The College of New Jersey's Her Campus chapter. Follow her if you'd like on snapchat and Instagram @y8awesome.