The Great Rom-Com Debate: My Top Five Favorite Romantic Comedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Recently, many Twitter users have been nostalgic for the 1990s and 2000s iconic era of romantic comedies. This has many debating what rom-coms are the best of all time. Well, here are my personal top 5 all-time favorite romantic comedies. 

1. The Wedding Planner

Out of all of Jennifer Lopez’s iconic romantic comedies, this one is my all-time favorite. JLo plays a successful wedding planner who just so happens to break many of the extensive rules of the profession: do not fall in love with the groom. Matthew Mchonany and Jlo’s chemistry is off the charts, and the dance sequences alone had me swooning. Whenever someone needs a fun, heartwarming romantic comedy, I will always recommend this one.

2. How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days

I guess Matthew McConaughey is one of my favorite rom-com leading men. In this rom-com, Kate Hudson plays an advice columnist writing an article on “How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days”. She thinks she has found the perfect candidate in McConaughey’s character. However, he has a bet of his own to make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days. It’s a recipe for disaster filled with many memorable scenes, from the iconic fern to the stunning yellow dress. This movie is hilarious and also romantic at the same time. 

3. Picture Perfect

Would I consider Jennifer Aniston to be the unsung hero of romantic comedies? Yes. In this movie, Jennifer Aniston plays a young, ambitious career woman trying to get promoted at her advertising job. When she discovers that her boss tends to take married employees more seriously, she makes up a fake fiance to get the job she always dreamed of. Although this one is not as well known as many other rom-coms, it is still one of my comfort movies. Jennifer Aniston in a fake dating trope move? What more could you want?

4. He’s Just Not That Into You 

There are so many star-studded ensemble romantic movies out there; however, this one takes the cake for me. From Scarlett Johansson to Bradley Cooper, this cast is filled with many stars and romantic comedy legends. This movie focuses on several different couples and singles trying to navigate their relationships. With each story and character interconnecting, the movie is rooted in one idea–– trying to discover if a guy is really, genuinely into you.

5. The Proposal

When people think of romantic comedies, they immediately go to this Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds classic. Bullock plays an author on the verge of deportation to Canada. To stay in the states, she decides to marry her assistant. Her assistant has one condition: she has to pretend to be his wife in front of his family. The movie will have you laughing all the way through and will become a comfort movie for whenever you need it.

Isabella is a sophomore at TCNJ studying Communication Studies. As a huge pop culture lover, she hopes to one day become a Public Relations Specialist in the entertainment world. She loves music, especially Doja Cat, SZA, and Olivia Rodrigo. Isabella will binge-watch any tv show you give her. She also loves a good coffee date and a trip to NYC.