Brianna lead image
Brianna lead image
Photo by Raen Badua
Style > Fashion

The 2021 Met Gala’s 5 Best and Worst Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

With the theme, “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion”, there was high anticipation and high uncertainty of what to expect. After last year’s cancelled event, everyone looked to the Met Gala, ready to see the most exquisite and extravagant outfits. Many attendees delivered, and others fell short. 

Top 5 Worst Dressed (in my opinion)

1. Dixie D’Amelio wearing Valentino: TikTok star, Dixie D’Amelio shocked many by attending this year’s Met Gala in a simple black mini dress, bright white gloves up her arms, and a large, black fringe hat. This look is apparently inspired by Audrey Hepburn, but was received horribly by viewers as they compared her hat to a birds’ nest. It was daring, which this event is all about, but the lack of accesories and the fit of the dress did not grow on me.
  2. Addison Rae wearing ‘vintage’ Gucci from 2003: Addison Rae, another TikTok star, similarly created controversy attending the Met Gala. She wore a red, floor length Gucci dress with interesting details down the front and back that she considered vintage (only 14 years ago). While she doesn’t look bad, she barely fits the theme and is sporting an underwhelming look compared to others.
  3. Camila Cabello in Michael Kors: Camila Cabello wore a bright purple two-piece dress, covered in sequins with a high slit in the skirt. This Michael Kors dress hardly fits the theme and is more fit for a sweet sixteen than a high fashion event. Her hair and the monochromatic element are beautiful, just seemingly out of place.  
  4. Olivia Rodrigo wearing Saint Laurent: Tight knit and sheer outfits are very popular this year in fashion, but this one fell short for me. This edgy, lace look by Saint Laurent seemed out of place as well, a less mature vibe compared to other attendees.
  5. Kim Kardashian in Balenciaga: Kim Kardashian arrived in a skin-tight, black head-to-toe outfit that covered every inch of her body. While this Balenciaga outfit was daring and interesting, I found it mostly boring, not fitting much to the theme.

Top 5 Best Dressed (in my opinion)

1. Quannah Chasinghorse wearing Peter Dundas: This gold dress, accessorized with turquoise jewelry is on theme while still fit for the event. Quannah Chasinghorse, a model and activist, touched on her native roots, embracing indigenous art. 10/10!
  2. Barbie Ferreira wearing Jonathan Simkhai: Barbie Ferreira looked like she came straight out of a period piece, covered in pearls and glitter. It was giving old hollywood glamour, perfectly on theme with this flapper inspired dress.
  3. Lupita Nyong’o in Versace: Lupita wore a denim floor-length dress from Versace, paired with rhinestones and a train. With her perfectly styled afro and silver jewelry, the denim fit the American theme.
  4. Iman wearing Dolce & Gabbana: Iman, supermodel, wore a Dolce & Gabbana gold jumpsuit with a feathered hoop skirt on top. She wore a matching ginormous headdress that looked like the sun. This look is one of my favorites because it brings that extravagant element that many people missed.
  5. Normani in Valentino: Normani wore a bright yellow-green gown with big poofy sleeves, skirt, and train. This Valentino dress is definitely eye catching, bright, and fun. No one else had a look like this one, making it one of my favorites.
Kyra is a junior at TCNJ with a major in Communication Studies (Public & Mass specialty) and a minor in Marketing. She is a member of Delta Phi Epsilon and enjoys fashion, beauty, and entertainment.