Culture > News

Taylor Swift is Named Spotify’s Top Global Artist of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

On Nov. 29, 2023, the popular music streaming platform, Spotify, released its end of the year Spotify-Wrapped. Spotify-Wrapped is a feature that permits users to see and share their listening habits over the year. It shows users their most listened to songs, artists, genres, and playlists of the year. This year, Taylor Swift was named Spotify’s Top Global Artist of the Year. This marks the first time Swift has topped the year-end artist global chart in her career. Swift had more than 26.1 billion Spotify streams, dethroning last year’s chart leader, Bad Bunny, who landed in second place this year.

Along with being the most streamed artist on Spotify, Swift placed twice in the top global streamed albums. Midnights landed at the second top global album of the year, while Lover made an appearance at the seventh top global album of the year. In the United States, Swift landed three spots in the top ten most streamed albums of the year. Midnights placed at number three, Lover at number seven, and Folklore made an appearance at number eight. On the list of the top ten streamed songs globally, and in the United States, “Cruel Summer” placed at number six, and “Anti-Hero” placed at number ten. 

Swift expressed her gratitude in an Instagram post: “Um ok this is unreal?? I just wanted to say to anyone who listened to my music anywhere in the world, thank you. Getting named Spotify’s Global Top Artist in 2023 is truly the best birthday/holiday gift you could’ve given me.” To show appreciation to her fans, Swift released the Midnights song “You’re Losing Me (From the Vault).” In the past, this song was only available on the exclusive CD sold during the Eras Tour.  

Many factors contributed to Swift’s success this year. The singer began The Eras Tour on Mar. 17, 2023 in Glendale, Arizona. The Eras Tour is the sixth concert tour by Swift, who described it as a journey through all of her musical eras. The Eras Tour consists of 151 shows across five continents. The show spans over 3.5 hours long, with a setlist of 44 songs. As of Aug. 2023, it is the highest-grossing tour ever by a female artist, and the second-highest grossing overall based on the first 56 North American shows alone. As of Nov. 26, 2023, Swift has concluded the first leg of her international tour. The international tour will resume on Feb. 7, 2024, in Tokyo, Japan. The tour is set to fully conclude on Dec. 8, 2024 in Vancouver, Canada.

In addition to The Eras Tour concert experience, Swift announced The Eras Tour movie on Sept. 26, 2023. The movie premiered in theaters on Oct. 13, 2023. The film has accumulated $250 million in worldwide sales, making it the top twenty biggest films of 2023. Perhaps more of the singing sensation’s fame has stemmed from her new relationship with Kansas City Chiefs tight end, Travis Kelce. Their love story began after Swift attended the Chiefs home game against the Cincinnati Bears on Sept. 24, 2023. Since then, the couple has earned the title of being the cutest couple of the year. Kelce ranked high on the Spotify charts in the podcasts section. Globally, his podcast with his brother, Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce, New Heights, ranked number one as the top sports podcast, and made an appearance at number 19 on the top podcasts of the United States.

Brianna Hulse is a sophomore Marketing major at The College of New Jersey. Along with being a staff writer for Her Campus, she is a member of TCNJ’s College Union Board and American Marketing Association. In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with my friends and family, going to the beach, going shopping, going to concerts, and watching reality TV.