This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

By Grace Reynoso

Still Over It (ironically titled following her debut record, Over It) is Summer Walker’s second studio album, and let me tell you, it is the only thing you need if you’re craving a good musical vent session. Walker’s discography is the musical equivalent to that of a tub of ice cream after a breakup: sweet, kind of sad, and absolutely necessary. Here are some of my favorite tracks to vibe out to: 

“Bitter – Narration by Cardi B”

Being the intro track, Bitter is an emotionally raw record that truly sets the mood of the album. Walker speaks directly to her ex, and this makes the listener feel like a fly on the wall, almost as if we are intruding on a very private conversation. In true R&B style, there is a phone call from Cardi B inserted at the end of the track, which really adds to the pain of the narrative, but also creates this promise of light. “Bitter” embodies the reality of relationship struggles, and allowing yourself to feel, but also highlights the importance of not losing yourself in the process.

“Insane”

“Insane” is a standout track for me. From first listen, the chorus was captivating and catchy, and the siren type intro is unique. The track covers second guessing your character when someone may try to manipulate your energy. Walker talks to a higher power or force in this song, which really resonates. Sometimes, reality cannot fully explain why certain things may happen, but trusting a higher power or fate is important in keeping your peace, and like they say “everything happens for a reason”, I really love this track and what it stands for.

“Broken Promises”

I love this track solely for the concept of labeling all of your past relationships. Walker goes into describing her four serious loves, and I find it clever to write about a timeline of relationships in your music. Still having trust and faith in the face of relationships coming and going is something that everyone can feel. Walker’s voice is especially silky and emotive in this track.

“No Love (with SZA)”

SZA flows flawlessly with Walker’s voice, it’s almost as if they were meant to sing on a track together. Walker plays with the idea of going back in time in a relationship, which is both a playful and raw theme. “No Love” covers regrets that come with giving so much love, and wishing to have replaced it with lust. This song to me is about remembering your self worth and no longer giving your time and emotion to one’s that don’t deserve it, which I believe is vital in a breakup album.

The healing on Still Over It is very much apparent, something like a coming-of-age record following her freshman album. Walker’s flawless runs and honest lyrics are something to be recognized, and truly sat back and felt. It is sonically addicting and overall, good music.

Grace Reynoso is a Senior Communications Major with a Public/Mass Media track. She is originally from Ridgewood, New Jersey and has always been into all things beauty, fashion, and music! Grace also loves creating new looks on her makeup page and writing songs! Follow her on Instagram: @grace.reynoso, her makeup IG @glossbygracie_, and on Spotify: @urfriendgrace