Summer Concerts and Festivals to Splurge On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Tailgating and attending concerts and music festivals define summertime to me. There’s nothing better than enjoying an outdoor concert with your friends from home after a long semester of hard work. I know that shows can be expensive – especially since we’re so close to New York City – but I promise you, you do not want to miss these, no matter the price tag.

Billy Joel: May 23, June 2, July 18 – Madison Square Garden, New York City

Tickets are quickly selling out for this show! We all know Billy Joel for his piano skills and classic music – the songs we listened to with our parents growing up. It’s no surprise that Joel is returning to his home of NYC for three different shows this summer. Yes, we know this show is a splurge, but it will be one to talk about for decades.

Kendrick Lamar, SZA and Schoolboy Q: May 29 – Madison Square Garden, New York City

Also coming to Madison Square Garden is a trio that you may not expect but that you’ll definitely love. Kendrick Lamar is known to put on supreme performances, SZA’s voice is literally angelic, and Schoolboy Q has the energy to break the walls down. Tickets might be expensive, but you’re getting three amazing artists for the price of one.

Governors Ball Music Festival: June 1 through June 3 – Randall’s Island Park, New York City

Kicking off the festival season in New York City is Gov Ball. At this year’s festival, you can see performances from Travis Scott, Eminem, Jack White, Halsey, Khalid and so many more. This festival prides itself on having music for everyone’s taste across four big stages. Aside from music, the festival prides itself on its food and includes activities such as mini golf, silent discos and life-size board games.

Dave Matthew’s Band: July 18 – PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

This outdoor arena has hosted Dave Matthew’s Band every summer I can remember. I’ve seen them here the past three summers, and I can say it’s the epitome of a fun summer night. Tickets range in price, but begin around $50 for lawn seats – which is what I recommend purchasing. Dave typically brings out guests, so you’re guaranteed to get your money’s worth.

Britney Spears: July 23 & 24 – Radio City Music Hall, New York City

Britney is back and you do not want to miss the queen. Get your tickets and jam to classics like “Toxic,” “Oops!… I Did It Again” and “Gimmie More.” We all know that Brit brings it to every performance, so if you haven’t had the chance to see her live, now is the perfect time!

Panorama Music Festival: July 27 through July 29 – Randall’s Island Park, New York City

This three day festival features artists such as SZA, The Weeknd, Cardi B, Dua Lipa, The XX, The Killers, and so many more. Panorama is hosted on the iconic Randall’s Island, where all the NYC festivals plan their events because of the beautiful scenery. Three-day passes and daily tickets are available – definitely get them before they sell out!

Beyoncé and JAY-Z OTR II Tour: Various Dates and Venues

The On The Run II Stadium Tour is going to blow our minds, to say the least. Beyoncé had the most iconic Coachella performance, so you know she’s going to bring it when she hits the stage again (with her boo). Get your tickets before it’s too late – certain dates are already sold out!

Electric Zoo Festival: August 31 through September 2 – Randall’s Island Park, New York City

Rounding up the list is the best festival for Labor Day weekend, Electric Zoo. This year marks the 10th Anniversary, so you definitely don’t want to miss out on the celebration. Although the full lineup hasn’t been released, we know that Kaskade, Marshmello and Martin Garrix are three of the six headliners. In addition to the music and multiple stages, this festival features amazing food and various art exhibits.

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.