This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

WARNING: THERE ARE SPOILER ALERTS BELOW

Stranger Things 2 was released on Netflix last week and while it answered some of the biggest questions from Season 1, it brought on a wealth of new questions for Season 3.

First: Eleven is alive and well! Yay! I was so happy to see her hone into her powers this season and learn more about her background. We met Kali, who has “008” tattooed on her wrist, meaning she is from the same lab as Eleven, AND we learned that she has powers too: but not the same powers as Eleven. Kali can manipulate people’s minds to see what she wants them to see. Does this mean there are other children out there like Kali and Eleven, or were these two the only survivors of the testing and experiments in Hawkins Lab? And should we expect to see Kali return to the show next season?

We saw so much growth in Eleven’s character this season, not only with her psionic abilities, but also as a 13-year-old girl. The scene where Jim Hopper grounded Eleven reminds the audience that Eleven is still just a kid who never really had a consistent authority figure to teach her that her actions have consequences. Through her journey of self-discovery, finding her mom and Kali, she realizes that she cares more about her friends and their safety than getting revenge for what happened to her at the Hopkins Lab.

Source: Giphy

Second: Barb is dead. Wah. The show frequently referenced her death and even Dr. Owens admitted that she had been killed in the Upside Down. While I’m sad that her character did not make a return, there was #justiceforBarb through Nancy and Jonathan in their efforts to take down Hawkins Lab.

In this season, we learned a lot about the monsters that thrive in the Upside Down. How they grow, where they live, what they eat, and most importantly, who they listen to. The shadowy creature that looms in the sky and ultimately inhabits Will’s body is never given a name, but is referred to as “He” and “Evil” throughout the season.

Let’s talk about the last scene when the camera flipped into the Upside Down. The gate may be closed but the Upside Down still exists and in the final scene, He is looming over the school, with lightning bolts striking behind him, during the Middle School Dance. This insinuates that He is alive and well, despite no longer occupying a host. Does He still pose a threat to the kids, especially Will? And do all the kids have True Sight now that they’ve all been in the Upside Down?

I’m wondering how much crossover there will be between the Upside Down and the real world now that the gate is closed. I’m excited to see what the producers do with this concept in the next season.

Also on a different note, I felt like Bob’s character was out of place. Considering Season 2 starts a year after where Season 1 left off, it would make sense that Joyce would move on with her life and try to be happy again after the traumatic events that came with Will’s disappearance. However, by the end of the season, I felt that Bob’s only purpose in the show was to provide a character that can save the day and be sacrificed without losing one of our favorites like Hopper or Joyce. Without Bob’s death though, Joyce may not have had the emotional strength to burn the Evil out of Will. In that scene, Jonathan struggles with watching his brother being tortured and thrashing in pain, but Joyce pushes him further, demanding the monster leave his body.

My one complaint about this season is that I thought the plot was a little predictable in some parts. When Will drew the vines and it seemed to be random scribbles, I thought it was obvious that each page was a part of a bigger picture. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed the scene.

Source: Giphy

One of my favorite moments in the finale is when Max finally stands up to her step-brother, Billy. She proved that you don’t need physical strength to defeat someone and found herself in a position of power over Billy. While the rest of the boys stood doing nothing, while Billy pummeled Steve, Max looked around and saw the solution in a sedative. Not only that, but she had the courage to follow through thereafter and ensure Billy would no longer bother her and her friends. Throughout the season, Billy was verbally sometimes physically abusive towards Max. His hostility and aggressiveness makes him an easy antagonist, especially with some comments that are racist. It’s not hard to see where he gets it from since his father exhibited abusive behavior as well.

Also in the finale, we see Dr. Owens providing Hopper with a birth certificate for El. With this, she can have a normal life, but not for another year to avoid suspicion. We can assume she’ll be going to school with the rest of the kids, but if she’ll be starting in a year that brings a whole new dynamic to the show: High School. Will Eleven, or Jane, I should say, be able to assimilate into classroom life easily or will she struggle with fitting in and hiding her powers? How will her relationship with Mike change now that they will be spending more time together, and how will that effect the rest of the group?

I’m excited for Stranger Things 3 because I know whatever the Duffer Brothers create is going to be amazing, but at the same time I want the characters to live a happy, peaceful life without dealing with the Upside Down anymore. It’s going to be a long year waiting for the next installment of this incredible show, but it’s going to be absolutely worth it.

Source: Giphy

Cover Image Source

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.