Songs That Will Make You Feel Like the Main Character in a Coming-of-Age Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In every coming-of-age film, there are phases that the main character goes through that helps them grow and develop into the person they are meant to be or helps them get on the track they are meant to be on. These trials and tribulations, whether they are super serious or not so serious at all, are what make the person who they are. These songs are for any of those coming-of-age phases we may face, whether it’s heartbreak, falling out with friends, moving away, or just growing up. Be prepared to add every single one of these songs to your ‘Main Character’ playlist, and if you don’t have one, here are some songs to help you get started!

1. “Rather Be” by Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne

2. “All I Want” by Kodaline

3. “Tongue Tied” by GroupLove

4. “Everybody Talks” by Neon Trees 

5. “Electric Love” by Børns 

6. “Come On Eileen” by Kevin Rowland

7. “Under Pressure” by Queen

8. “Habits (Stay High)” by Tove Lo

9. “Payphone” by Maroon 5

10. “Rude” by Magic!

11. “Ain’t It Fun” by Paramore

12. “Amnesia” by 5 Seconds of Summer 

13. “Sweater Weather” by The Neighborhood 

14. “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen

15. “The One that Got Away” by Katy Perry

Eunice is a current student at TCNJ, and she majors in Communications Studies with minors in Marketing and Graphic Design. She has also been the Graphic Designer for HC TCNJ since Fall of 2018. Although she only has her phone to take photos, she loves to capture the world around her, and doesn't care if she has to stop in the middle of traffic to do so! Eunice is also a food lover and the occasional Netflix and Hulu binger, with her favorite shows right now being "Quantico" and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (She thinks she could totally be a cop or FBI agent). Eunice and many of her favorite photographs can be found on her Instagram account, @blasianchronicles or @eundesigns.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.