Soak Up the Sun Safely! Sun Care Tips for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As collegiettes, we know that our summer months are often spent outside, soaking up the sun’s rays at the pool or relaxing on a towel at the beach. But all of those UV rays can wreak havoc on your skin. Even if you don’t burn easily and usually tan, the sun still slowly damages your skin.

The truth is that one bad sunburn can severely increase your risk of skin cancer. Melanoma, a potentially fatal skin cancer, is the most common cancer in young women between the ages of 25 and 29. Much of the damage from the sun in young women occurs in their teens and early twenties.

Healthy skin is beautiful skin. Keep your skin radiant this summer by following these tips to stay safe in the sun.

Daily Protection. The idea of slathering on the sun screen seems highly cumbersome to many, but you don’t need to slap on straight-up zinc oxide to protect your skin. Make it part of your daily routine by using makeup, powders, and lotions that contain SPF. Prime with an SPF-infused facial lotion. Brands like Neutrogena, Aveeno, L’oreal, and Olay all have lotions with SPF.

Wear it Right. Some sunscreen is better than no sunscreen, but your sunscreen needs protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Be sure the SPF of the sunscreen is 30 or higher and that it has both UVA and UVB blocking ingredients.UVA ages and damages the skin deeper down while UVB burns the skin. Eighty percent of UV rays still get through the clouds so it’s important to always be wearing some form of sun protection.

Cover Up. Of course while at the beach you’re not wearing more than a bathing suit, but wearing quality sunglasses and a cute sun hat will help protect your skin. There are plenty of stylish cover-ups and sundresses that you can wear to give your skin a break from the constant sunshine.

Reapply. Just as you would reapply your makeup before you go out, reapply sunscreen when you’re going to be outside for a long time. If you’re outside for long periods of time, it also helps to take a break in the shade. This will save you the need for aloe vera later that night.

Tanning = Aging. Yes we know it feels great to be tan, but 20 years from now wrinkly skin will not be attractive! Tanning beds and endless hours in the sun are not good for anyone. Use self-tanning creams or a tinted moisturizer to achieve a healthy, natural glow. Plus, the use of sunscreen helps your immune cells repair previous sun damage and protects your skin from aging! 

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.