Sigma Kappa on the Scene: TCNJ’s New Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Last week, a number of our fellow collegiettes received bids into the seven existing sororities on campus.

However, the sorting of sororities is not settled just yet.

Sigma Kappa is making a splash on campus as the newest sisterhood to join TCNJ’s Pan-Hellenic society, meaning we will have an eighth Greek group for girls to join.

This week interest sessions have been held on a nightly basis, and tabling in the Stud advertised its coming. Individuals will be given bids this weekend.

Without any stigmas attached to this sisterhood, whether it be reputations regarding the girls or the types of initiation activities, this is an entirely new experience.

It is for this very reason that Katherine Avila has been checking it out.

“I first met the girls and liked how it was new,” she said. “I’m a junior and I knew all the other sororities. [Sigma Kappa] has no reputation – it’s brand spanking new.”

This international studies major hopes to gain a sense of belonging and self-growth out of the experience, if she is given a bid.

“I’m interested in personal growth and finding my niche in TCNJ. If I get in a sorority it’s great for community service and getting more involved on campus,” she said.

Not only are the females hoping to find a sense of belonging, the sorority itself hopes to fit in nicely with the other existing groups on campus.

“We’re striving for a strong, quality chapter,” Sarah Womble, National Vice President of Extension for Sigma Kappa, said. “One of the best chapters on campus.”

The National President of Sigma Kappa, Laura Owsley, echoed similar sentiments, when she said, “We liked the demographics of the campus. The atmosphere was perfect. The Greek life (on campus) gave us a binder of info and we felt this was a good fit.”

Owsley also explained what Sigma Kappa is seeking on campus.

“We are looking for well-rounded, leaders on campus. Girls who are involved on campus and a part of the community,” Owsley said.

While some people may perceive sororities as cliquey, or only having one type of person, it’s Sigma Kappa’s mission to find diversity.

According to Womble, “We’re looking for a diverse group of women – passionate, enthusiastic, energetic, all about her group values, ones with a mission and whose goals are the same. Women who are working towards the same thing – and can be a part of the Greek community,” she said.

Katherine Cortes, sophomore mathematics major, participated in the recruitment process for the other sororities but after that process didn’t pan out as planned, she decided to give Sigma Kappa a chance.

“If I had gotten into (one of the other sororities) that I wanted, I would’ve done that. I’m trying to see if what I want is in Sigma Kappa,” Cortes explained.

“I want to be more involved, feel like I have a purpose and meet people,” she said, when explaining why she has been attending the recruitment events for Sigma Kappa.

“I want that strong sisterhood,” Cortes said. “I want sisters that will be a part of my life forever. Also, it’s a great way to do community service.”

Service is one of the four main values that the sorority focuses on, along with friendship, loyalty, and personal growth. According to Owsley, “We’re not trying to change anything, anyone; we wanted everyone to be more confident.”

“We want to be a part of a great community,” Owsley said. “Our beliefs, support, we want to be on campus for a long period of time, until we see what we believe as a successful chapter at TCNJ.”

* Special thanks to Her Campus staff writer Hilarey Wojtowicz for her assistance with conducting the interviews and gathering information.
Photo Credit: Sigma Kappa Sorority

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.