The Series Finale of Teen Wolf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Last month, MTV’s long-running, top-rated scripted show, Teen Wolf, came to an end. Fans everywhere (including myself) stopped what they were doing at 8pm on Sunday, September 24th to see how the lives of Scott McCall, Stiles Stilinski, Lydia Martin, and the rest of Beacon Hills would play out in the final war between the supernatural and the hunters. Anxiety was high throughout the entire episode, which was full of surprise cameos and plot twists.

For those of you who know nothing about the show, here’s some info: Scott and Stiles are best friends who live in Beacon Hills. Scott’s mom works in the hospital and Stiles’ father is the town sheriff. One night, the two go out in search of a dead body in the woods, which results in Scott receiving a bite from an Alpha werewolf, changing his life and transforming him into a supernatural entity. We meet many other werewolves throughout the series, like Derek and Peter Hale, nephew and uncle which huge family problems. Supernatural powers come out in other characters, like Lydia Martin, the selfish, stuck-up pretty girl whose encounter with a werewolf bite turns her into a humble, kick-ass Banshee. The originally unlikely group of allies come together throughout the series to fight an obscene number of bad guys, such as the Dread Doctors, the Nogitsune, the Assassins and possibly the most annoying of them all: Gerard. They lose some throughout their battles, like beloved Allison, badass hunter, ally, and ex-love-interest of Scott. But the backbone of the entire series is the friendship of Scott and Stiles.

Creator and producer Jeff Davis has been known to call their bromance the “true romance” of Teen Wolf— and it is evident throughout the whole series. Nothing breaks their friendship throughout all the fights and dangers that they face, all while Scott rises to his True Alpha status and Stiles remains human. At the end of every emotional or physical battle, their brotherly relationship remains constant. After Dylan O’Brien’s movie schedule became more hectic and he left his status as series regular in the final season, fans were waiting for the moment where Scott and Stiles could finally reconnect, as without both of them the show seemed to be missing its center of emotional connection. It happened when Stiles escaped from the Wild Hunt, and again when he came home from the pre-FBI program Washington D.C. to help his friends fight their final battle in Beacon Hills.

Although season 6B lost O’Brien as a regular, it made up for this absence with some favorable, overdue cameos and returns. Colton Haynes, who played the controversial Jackson in seasons one and two, returned as the werewolf-kanima hybrid with Ethan, played by Charlie Carver, who portrayed one of two alpha twins in season three. Beloved Tyler Hoechlin returns in the last two episodes as Derek Hale, who we had last seen in the finale of season four.  Gideon Emery returns as Deucalion, who meets his end in the finale. And finally, the sociopathic, crazy Kate Argent (Jill Wagner) makes her way back to Beacon Hills, and ends up finally being the one to kill Gerard (what a weird father-daughter relationship).

Played up as what was going to be the season of death and heartbreak, 6B gave long-time, die-hard fans all the closure they needed, sans tears. Characters died, but nothing hurt more than the demise of Allison in season three, which left both fans and the cast emotional and angry. Even the vexed (although extremely hot) Theo, played by Pretty Little Liars’ Cody Christian, lived and had a few moments of redemption. I think I speak for all fans when I say that the end shot of all the favorites walking toward the camera truly wrapped up the story in the lightest of ways.

Hopefully the series finale does not mean the last of Teen Wolf forever, because what a show.

Cover Image Source

Olivia Grasing is a journalism student who aspires to work in the fashion/lifestyle industry.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.