Recap of the Second Presidential Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

On October 9, 2016, the second presidential debate took place at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump attacked each other verbally throughout the whole debate; focusing mainly on Clinton’s email server and the recently released tapes that revealed Trump’s crude remarks about women. Trump even went so far as to say that if he was president, he would have Hillary arrested.

Unlike the last presidential debate, undecided voters were invited to ask questions to the nominees. Most asked about controversial issues, such as Clinton and Trumps’ thoughts on how to deal with Muslims being seen as a threat to the US; Trump responded with, “Before you solve it, you have to say the name (radical Islamic terrorist),” and Clinton responded by saying, “We are not at war with Islam…I want a country where citizens like you and your family are welcome just like anyone else.”

However, one of the undecided voters, Karl Becker, lightened up the tense debate by asking Clinton and Trump to point out something positive about each other. Hillary went first and credited Donald for the manner of his kids, who she respects as a parent herself. She explicitly said, “His children are incredibly able and devoted, and I think that says a lot about Donald.” Trump then went on to say that Clinton was strong and resilient, given the fact that she had come so far in the election, having suffered attacks from the Trump campaign.Trump stated, “I do disagree with her judgement in many cases. But she does fight hard, and she doesn’t quit, and she doesn’t give up.” Both candidates made it clear that those were the only positive things that they could find about the other. Be sure to tune into the last presidential debate on October 19, 2016, and don’t forget to register to vote!

Hi! I'm Sumayah and I'm simply a college student trying her best.
TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.