Style > Beauty

The Realistic Version of the Madison Beer Vogue Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

For those who don’t know, Madison Beer is a top music artist, well-known for her good looks so it’s no surprise that her Vogue routine went viral on social media. I watched the video to see if she did or used anything special and I noticed a few things. I wrote down all of my thoughts on each step of her routine and gave my opinion on the products she used. 

Skincare

• Cleanser: PanOxyl Anti-Microbial Acne Foaming Wash ($9)

• Every makeup application begins with a solid skincare routine. This is your blank canvas! She uses a face wash that is tailored to her skin concerns which is something you should also do! Regardless, clean your skin as necessary. 

• Toner: Laniege Cream Skin Toner ($33)

• I love this toner and it’s a fan-favorite for a reason, but it’s $33…. The key aspect of this step is hydration. Use any hydrating toner (especially if your skin is dehydrated already) to emulate Madison in this step. Some great and reasonably-priced toners include the Klairs Supple Preparation Toner and the Pacifica Vegan Collagen Hydrating Milk Tonic. 

• Moisturizer: Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream ($60)

• Personally, I am not a huge fan of the Drunk Elephant brand. Now, I have tried this moisturizer and it didn’t amaze me. It’s way too overpriced ($60!) and there are other products that work better for cheaper.  Again, the key aspect of this step is hydration. That is how you achieve a flawless base! 

• Caudalie Beauty Elixir ($49) and La Mer The Eye Concentrate ($235)

• These two products are absolutely useless to the routine, especially with those prices! The objective here is hydration so using an essence, like the Etude House Soon Jung Essence ($15) or the Missha Time Revolution Essence ($21) after your toner and before your serums will get the job done. But this step is also not completely necessary for your routine. The eye concentrate is absurdly priced so I’d opt for The Ordinary Caffeine Solution ($6.70) to brighten and depuff the eyes. 

What I noticed with this entire routine was an emphasis on natural-looking makeup. This means lots of cream and liquid products. However, this will not work for everyone! People with more oily skin will need to use more powder to mattify the skin. This routine will also not help your makeup last during this pandemic because dewy products transfer more than matte products. The fix for this is also more powder and a good gripping primer. 

Makeup

• Foundation: Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint ($26)

• This is a great skin tint but it has zero coverage. Unless you have clear, blemish-free skin, this skin tint is not for you. I’d use the Morphe 2 Hint Hint Skin Tint ($17) instead for more buildable coverage. 

• Concealer: Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer ($30)

• This is one of the products in her routine that I would hands-down recommend. I have never used a concealer so radiant and creamy but also with good coverage. It is 100% worth the price!

• Contour and Blush: Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Contour Wand ($38), Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Highlighter Wand ($38)

• Charlotte Tilbury is a slightly problematic brand and only some of their products are worth the money. For the blush step, I don’t see the need to use this product when the Glossier Cloud Paint ($18) and the Fenty Beauty Cheeks Out Freestyle Blush ($20) exist. Contour is a personal decision, it’s not necessary for the look (especially considering this brand’s shade range). I find it easier to only use bronzer which also sets my foundation. 

• Setting Powder: Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder ($45)

• I’ve heard great reviews about this powder but again the price is insane. Madison Beer is lucky she has money to afford this but sadly most of us are not in the same boat. I find the Maybelline Fit Me powder to be unstoppable with setting my foundation at a fraction of the price. Seriously, use this instead. 

• Bronzer and Highlighter: Fenty Beauty Sun Stalk’r Instant Warmth Bronzer ($30) and Fenty Beauty Killawatt Freestyle Highlight Duo ($36)

• The bronzer she uses is another product I would 100% recommend. I used to use the Benefit Hoola Bronzer but I quickly abandoned that product for this one. It lasts all day and is so easy to blend. The highlighter is also very pigmented so it’s a good product to use.  But if you want a different brand, Becca Cosmetics will always be the brand for a glowy look (they are also sadly going out of business because of the pandemic so buy it while you can!). 

• Eyes: Morphe x Madison Beer Channel Surfing Artistry Palette ($22), Glossier Lash Slick ($16)

• Literally, use any other eyeshadow palette but Morphe. Madison is just promoting her collaboration with them in this look but their formulas are not what they used to be. Stick with Colourpop, Juvia’s Place, Nabla, etc.. 

• The Glossier mascara is not a good product and will not give your gorgeous lashes. Use the L’Oréal Telescopic Mascara instead for the best lashes of your life. 

• Lip: Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lipliner ($22) 

• Charlotte Tilbury lip products are among the products that are worth the money in that brand. Their lip liners are creamy, pigmented, and they glide perfectly on your lips. Their shades are also the perfect shades of nude and pink. But the Colourpop and Nyx lip liners are good dupes for this product. 

Overall, her routine lacked the pizazz I was looking for but it was still a solid routine. If you’re looking for the natural, dewy look this is definitely the routine and article for you! If this is not you, then following her routine will be slightly disappointing. 

Hi I’m Anagha!! I’m a senior in college. I love all things beauty, especially makeup and skincare. I review makeup products on my beauty account on Instagram @beautybyanagha. I am always watching out for new collections so expect content whenever anything drops :)
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.