This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In college, there are ample ways and opportunities to procrastinate assignments. There are so many other things that you could be doing besides doing your homework, like hitting up the dining hall, going to the gym, hanging out with friends, watching Netflix, etc.

And then all of a sudden it’s the day before a really big assignment is due and you’re freaking out because you realize you haven’t even started yet, and you think to yourself how did you let this assignment slip away from you…

Here are some ways you can power through procrastination:

1. Start the assignment: Stop putting it off for the next day — start it — even if you don’t have that much time, it doesn’t have to get done in one sitting.

2. Turn off digital distractions: We all know that your group chat with your girls is literally blowing up 24/7 so put your phone on silent for an hour or two and you will be surprised how much work you can get done.

3. Make a to-do list: The best way to see what assignments need to be completed is by making a to-do list, so you can prioritize assignments. Assignments that are due before others have priority, or you can choose to complete easier assignments before you tend to the ones that are more difficult. After completing an assignment, you can cross it off the list, and trust me there is no better feeling than taking a red pen and crossing a finished assignment out!

4. Know where/when you are productive: It is important to know where/when you do your best work because then you are less likely to get distracted. Where do you get your best work done? Is it the Lib or in your dorm? Are you an early bird or a night owl? Finding out what kinds of environments you can be most productive in is key to avoiding procrastination.

5. #treatyoself: When you are working on a really difficult assignment and find yourself spending a lot of time on a particular assignment, establish a reward system. For example, every time you finish writing a whole *single spaced* page reward yourself with a piece of chocolate, pat yourself on the back for completing a page and keep going! These rewards can be other things besides chocolate, like taking a 15-minute break and checking your social media, and answering your texts.

Procrastination is something that we all suffer from; however, finding ways you can be productive will help you succeed not only in college but in future endeavors as well!

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.