This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

You walk through the hallway wearing your favorite Aeropostale t-shirts, leggings, and Ugg boots after dissecting a frog in science class (gross!). You should be focused on studying for that upcoming pre-algebra test, but all you can do is think about is the latest episode of Pretty Little Liars, daydream about your favorite member of One Direction, and look forward to your BFF’s bat mitzvah coming up in a few weeks. You look down at your brand new iPod Nano, plug your in headphones to drown out the booming noise of fellow middle schoolers running through the hallway, and press play…

A Playlist by Middle-School-You

1. “Want U Back” by Cher Lloyd 

This was, by far, my most played song of my middle school years (and probably currently, too, because I still listen to it way too often). The catchy chorus, Cher’s distinguishable voice and attitude, and the overall upbeat mood make the perfect song to sing with your best friends. 

IMG Source

2. “Super Bass” by Nicki Minaj 

Did you even live through your middle school years if you don’t know the entire rap to this song? 

3. “Teenagers” by My Chemical Romance 

Ah, your middle school emo phase. Good times. Note to my middle school self: self-cut side bangs were never a good idea, but definitely matched the angsty sound of this song. 

4. “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepson 

I know, I know. This song played on a loop in every public place for the entirety of 2012, and now everyone hates it. However, you have to admit that it is an essential on anyone’s middle school throwback playlist. 

5. “The Way” by Ariana Grande ft. Mac Miller 

An instant hit, and for many, the start of their obsession with Ariana Grande. 

6. “Cups (When I’m Gone” by Anna Kendrick (Pitch Perfect Version)

Maybe it was just my middle school, but I remember the entire lunchroom performing the cup-song almost every day after Pitch Perfect came out. We were that obsessed. 

IMG Source

7. “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani

I have great memories of blasting this song while running the mile in middle school gym class. P.s: Thank you, Gwen Stefani, for teaching us all how to spell “bananas”. 

8. “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

All it took was one person to say “Hey Macklemore, can we go thrift shopping?” for the whole class to break out in song. 

9. “Live While We’re Young” by One Direction 

Of course I had to include One Direction on this list. Whether your One Direction phase never happened, peaked in middle school, or is still going strong (I fall into this category), I think it is safe to say that this boy-band had a big influence on our tween years. 

IMG Source

10. “Don’t Stop Believing” (Glee Cast Version)

What would this playlist even be without a Glee cover? I bet every middle school had at least one performance of this song in their talent show. I know that my middle school’s orchestra even did a cover of it. It’s iconic and will forever remind me of being 12 years old and obsessing over Glee. 

IMG Source

Jordan is a senior Psychology major and Women & Gender Studies minor at TCNJ, with an interest in becoming a clinical psychologist in the future. In her free time, she loves making lengthy spotify playlists, drawing, trying out new recipes, and rewatching the same 5 tv shows over and over.
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!