An Open Letter From Your Friend Who Doesn’t Drink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Dear Friends,

I need you to know why I don’t drink. I need you to understand that I don’t repeat over and over that I don’t drink because I’m a goodie-two-shoes or because I’m a prude. I don’t do it because I’m turning my nose up in the air and looking down on you for having fun by drinking.

I don’t drink because addiction is in my genes. Strongly, on both sides. Because I so easily become addicted to candy and food and tv shows and games that I’m genuinely scared of what would happen if I tried something actually strongly addictive. Because the only times I’ve ever wanted to drink have been when I’m angry and the only times I ever picture myself drinking are immediately after picturing an emotional trauma.

I want you to know that this doesn’t mean you can’t drink around me. I’m not in recovery, I’m not tempted, I just don’t. You don’t need to be uncomfortable, or feel bad. It’s really okay. You can still tell me your drunk stories and I may not relate to the feeling but I can still listen and I can still laugh when they’re funny. I’m not sitting there judging you, I’m just there.

Thank you to those of you who offer to pour me drinks because you don’t want me to feel left out and thank you to those who don’t because they just know I don’t want any.

Thank you to those who don’t ask because they don’t want to pry and thank you to those who do because they want to understand.

Know if you ever wanted to ask me and haven’t you can. I’m not ashamed I’ve become strong enough in my decision not to that I can tell you why.

Know that if you drink you can still talk to me. And if you don’t I’m always here. Know if you ever feel pressured or worried you’ll always know you can call me and I’ll always be sober and ready to rescue you. Know you’ll always have a DD when you need one. Know that if you also don’t drink, or if you have family who suffers from addiction you’re not alone. Know that whether you drink or not whatever you need to say I’m always here to listen.

Sincerely, Your Friend Who Doesn’t Drink  

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.