An Open Letter From the Girl Who Loves Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Dear Male Football Fanatics,

For as long as I can remember, I have loved football. Every Sunday morning I would set myself up on the couch for an all-day football marathon with my dad. We would scream and yell at the TV when we didn’t like a play, stuff our faces with chips and salsa, and cheer when our favorite team did well (which was rare, since we are fans of the New York Jets). He participated in pools and fantasy football, and I would always help him whenever he needed a second opinion on something. As I grew older, we would send each other breaking news, and continue our valued Sunday tradition of food and football.

But, in middle/high school and even sometimes today in college, I faced criticism from the people around me. Some would look at me funny when I wore a jersey to school, or would say “name five players on the NY Jets, not including the quarterback” as if I had to prove myself. I was shut out of conversations on Mondays after heart racing games because it was perceived by others that I didn’t know football as well as they did because I was a girl, even though I had valid thoughts and knew exactly what they were talking about.

I don’t understand the dismay that comes with a female enjoying football. I understand the game — I know what a down is, I understand what happened when a referee calls a penalty, and I keep up with stats, among other things. More recently, I have seen tweets about boys wanting a girl to watch football with, but when a girl tries to engage in a conversation with him, he turns around and discredits her knowledge about football. It just doesn’t make any sense. I want to have a good conversation, I am not trying to impress you and definitely not trying to impose upon your manhood, because apparently only men can follow the game.

I was raised to understand and love football. I watch games by myself in my dorm room because no one will watch with me — and I don’t mind. I would rather watch alone than be criticized and questioned. But for all the people who look at me weird or say “you’re just a girl, do you really actually understand what’s going on?” think about what you’re saying. Football is such a popular sport because so many people love and follow it — I would like to clarify that people include both men AND women. So, the next time I try to engage in a debate or try to watch football with a group, maybe reconsider looking at me weird or talking to me like I don’t understand. You might learn a thing or two.

Signed,

A Female Football Fanatic

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.