NYFW Translating Runway to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The world tuned in last week to see some of fashion’s best designers unveil their works of art at New York Fashion Week. While some collections seem extravagant and tough to pull off in the everyday life of a college student, don’t worry, we’re about to show you how runway fashion can be translated in college fashion for those days you decide not to just wear pajamas to class!

Christian Siriano stunned the crowd last week with his Spring 2017 Ready-to-Wear collection, but was applauded even more so for his use of models with all different body types. This refreshing change to the runway made this designer’s show absolutely unforgettable, along with his gorgeous pieces, especially this look which features a beautiful halter/off-the-shoulder dress and some fabulous gladiator sandals. Obsessed! To get a similar look, check out the pieces we’ve picked out for you below! This top from ASOS replicates the key features of Siriano’s outfit, the gorgeous combination of a halter neck, off the shoulder sleeves, and ruffles! Pair it with some denim shorts and it is the perfect transition outfit to wear on campus as the days get a little cooler heading into fall! Finish it off with similar black, knee high gladiator sandals, like these from ASOS, and you’re set!

Another hit runway show was absolutely Nicole Miller’s Spring 2017 Ready-to-Wear collection. While these pieces were also meant for spring, I think that some of them can be perfectly translated into fall outfits, even for college students! For this look, Miller featured an army green jacket with geometric designs on the sleeves and skirt, paired with a white, lace top. I love the mixture of pattern and fabric, and the illusions that the different colored sleeves on the jacket give, making it appear to be just a vest. Interested in rocking this look on campus? Stay tuned below for ideas!

Recreating the army green jacket was a must, and this color is going to be everywhere this fall. Instead of wearing a heavy jacket while the summer heat is only just starting to subside, try a sleeveless vest like this one from Charlotte Russe! Paired with a white sweater similar to this one with lace embellishments from Urban Outfitters, almost all of the key features of this runway look have been covered. The last step is to add in some of the geometric pattern that was seen in her collection, and an easy way to do this is to throw on a patterned scarf, like this one found at Forever 21! With some jeans and booties, you’ll look like you walked right off the runway and into class.

The key thing to remember is that recreating designer fashion in a way that suits a college student doesn’t have to impossible or expensive; it just takes some time and creativity. There is so much outfit inspiration to be taken from this past weeks NY Fashion Week, so go get started!

TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.