This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Students all over the world have suddenly found themselves with a lot more freetime than they anticipated as many schools and universities have shifted to an online semester amid the Coronavirus frenzy. While on quarantine, it is important to keep yourself busy to prevent getting cabin fever. One way to do this is by watching a good show that will hold your attention for a long period of time. Here are some of Netflix and Hulu’s best original shows to watch at a time like this.

You (2018)

You is a popular thriller series on Netflix that is told from the perspective of Joe, a stalker, who appears to be very charming and caring to everyone around him. He goes great lengths to please his love interests and make her fall in love with him, even if that includes illegal activities such as murder, breaking and entering, and stealing. This series only has two seasons so far, therefore easy to finish, yet so intriguing that it will keep you interested for hours.

The Society (2019)

The Society is another Netflix Original that shows a high school field trip gone wrong. After returning home from this field trip, the students discover that every other person in the area has mysteriously gone missing and the students have no way of leaving the small town. This forces the teens to develop a new society, making political decisions such as electing a mayor to maintain order and learning to survive with the little life experience that they have. The politics involved creates a divide between the citizens, creating drama that will keep you tuned in the entire season.

Dollface (2019)

Dollface is a Hulu original comedy that focuses on Jules who was suddenly dumped by her long term boyfriend, leading her to fall back on her old friends that she ditched for her boyfriend. Jules must deal with her newfound independence and adjust to single life. This series heavily enforces the idea of girl power and friendship, while still being unique and quick to complete.

American Vandal (2017)

American Vandal, although canceled, has two seasons on Netflix filled with satire and mystery. Each season consists of a mystery that the two main characters are following, trying to investigate the very minor crimes committed by high schoolers. It is filmed like a documentary and overly dramatic, making it humorous to watch and one of Netflix’s hidden gems.

The Circle (2020)

The Circle recently came out on Netflix this year. People from around the country are held in a hotel where they are not able to meet each other face to face and are competing through the idea of social media. Some people take this chance to be themselves while others create a new persona. This series is very relatable as we are constantly on our phones, therefore this show reveals many truths about social media. The Circle is an easy, light show to watch, but still keeps you fascinated through twists and surprises.

Looking for Alaska (2019)

Looking for Alaska is another Hulu original based off of the novel by John Green released in 2005. It is about Miles Halter who moves to a boarding school in the south, craving adventure and excitement. He quickly meets a group of friends and essentially tells a classic melodramatic story about teenagers, romance, and partying while battling the “Weekday Warriors” or the school’s pretentious bullies. The series only has eight episodes, long enough to hold your attention, but not so long that it’s a huge commitment. Although the script is fairly cliche, the plot is interesting.

Kyra is a junior at TCNJ with a major in Communication Studies (Public & Mass specialty) and a minor in Marketing. She is a member of Delta Phi Epsilon and enjoys fashion, beauty, and entertainment.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.