National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

From February 21st to February 28th it is the National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. In the United States alone 20 million women suffer from some type of eating disorder. The reason for this large number is because according to the rules of society you are either too skinny, too short, too tall, or too fat, as women we can never fit the perfect mold that society has made for us, no matter how hard we try.

Women nowadays have grown up with unrealistic expectations, mostly because it is always the skinny, size zero, models that are plastered on the cover of magazines, never the ones with acne scars, curves, or crooked smiles.

We live our whole lives trying to live up to the false beauty standards that are constantly on display, so much so that we are expected to meet these standards in order to be considered beautiful by society. Since we will never fit into the mold it is up to us to take ownership of who we are, and be confident in our own body. Do not let the covers of magazines phase you, you are beautiful.

The number on the scale does not matter. It is simply just a number, do not let it define you. That number does not tell you how beautiful you are or how much you are loved by your family and friends for the person you are.

Every body is different, and every body is beautiful in its own individual way.

So especially during this week make an extra effort to show your body some love by eating healthy, staying hydrated, exercising, and getting a good amount of sleep at night.

You were made the way you are for a reason. Do not let society’s beauty standards tell you otherwise.

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.