Style > Fashion

My Top 5 Closet Staples that Got Me Through This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.
  1. Button Downs

These lightweight tops have been a lifesaver in multiple fashion equations. From breezy beach evenings to dressing up a simple work outfit, button downs assist in rejuvenating a basic outfit. These tops can be found at any stores, especially thrift stores and consignment shops, coming in a wide range of colors that can add a pop of color, texture, or pattern.

1. Sweat Shorts

These have easily been adopted into my regular closet rotation. As someone who lives for comfort when it comes to fashion, sweat shorts are perfect for daily errands, relaxing with friends, and even slightly dressed up for a casual street style outfit. 

1. Platform Sandals

The platform sandal trend has grown on me, always seeming to come back in style each decade. It provides an easy way to add color to an outfit or elevate a basic look. Platform sandals are comfortable and can be dressed up or down. Replacing flip flops or slides with platform sandals can instantly transform an outfit.

1. Baby Tees/Tanks

These tops are perfect for casual, day to day outfits. Racerback and baby tanks are a good way to beat the heat without feeling too exposed and are a great outlet to experiment with color. Basic colors are closet staples that can go with denim jeans, printed pants, skirts, and more. Also, there are cute, colorful options that can add personality to an outfit. These can be found in wide varieties on Etsy and in thrift stores.

1. Wide Leg Jeans

Wide leg, relaxed fitted jeans are so comfortable and so flattering on most body types. Upon purchasing them, I have managed to style them for a wide range of occasions. They look good with sneakers, heels, platform sandals, and heeled booties. They have become a personal favorite and I wear them every chance I get. While it is warm outside, these pants are still lightweight and breezy.

Kyra is a junior at TCNJ with a major in Communication Studies (Public & Mass specialty) and a minor in Marketing. She is a member of Delta Phi Epsilon and enjoys fashion, beauty, and entertainment.