This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I have a lot of albums that I love—like, a list on my notes app with more than 40 bullet points. Yet, there are few albums that are “perfect” in my eyes. A perfect album is one I can listen to any day, during almost any mood, and still enjoy to the fullest. It has no skips and many replays. It is an album I’d recommend to most of my friends and family (and trust me, I have). Getting on my “perfect album list” is not an easy task, which is why I cherish this top 10 list with my whole heart (and both of my ears…I listen to these albums way too much). Without further ado and in no particular order, here are my top 10 “perfect” albums!

GracelanD by Paul Simon

I quite honestly grew up on this album, which is probably a huge reason why I have grown to love each and every one of these songs to my fullest ability. Paul Simon is a huge name in my family; my parents raised me and my brother on his lyrics, and we all continue to listen to his CDs together in the car, and while we are alone. Simon’s lyrical talent is impeccable. He holds the power to create rhymes out of thin air and form a strong narrative in each one of his songs, which I greatly admire. Graceland in particular meshes Paul Simon’s work with the voices of Ladysmith Black Mambazo, a South African choral group, which created such a beautiful and worldly sound. Although this list is not in a particular order, I’d have to call this album my favorite. 

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “The Boy In The Bubble,” “Under African Skies,” “Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes.”

Pure heroine by lorde

This album instantly transports me back to my freshman year of high school when I first started avidly listening to Lorde. The haunting harmonies and deep alto vocal range of Lorde are absolutely timeless. Although many people have favorited her later albums like Melodrama and Solar Power, Pure Heroine remains unbeatable in my eyes.

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “400 Lux,” “Ribs,” and “A World Alone.”

I love you, honeybear by father john misty

This album is one of my more recent additions to this list, but it is well-deserving of being a “perfect” album nonetheless. Father John Misty quite honestly always wows me, with his daring lyrics and addictive voice. His songs are quite risky; often sexual, religious, or humorous in nature. That is what makes them so interesting and unique; he seldom writes about what other artists do time and time again. 

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “Strange Encounter,” “Chateau Lobby #4 (In C For Two Virgins),” and “The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apartment.”

The Idler Wheel by Fiona Apple

I can talk about Fiona Apple and how much of an inspiration she is to me for hours. Honestly, every single one of Fiona Apple’s albums is an individual masterpiece to me, and I would call each of them perfect. But, for the purpose of variety, I narrowed it down to my favorite of her albums, fully titled The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do…I just think that long title is hilarious. This album, along with “Fetch The Bolt Cutters” (Honorable mention! Woo!) were the soundtrack of my life for a solid 2 years and were constantly streaming through my headphones. I just can’t get enough of her complex lyrics and biting sound.

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “Werewolf,” “Every Single Night,” and “Daredevil.” 

puberty 2 by mitski

You may sense a trend in what boosts an album from my “great” list to my “perfect” list: the lyrics. Mitski’s Puberty 2 is a perfect example of this. Although I adore all her albums, I find the lyrical rawness of this one, in particular, to consistently draw me back in. 

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “Fireworks,” “Once More To See You,” and “A Burning Hill.”

1989 by Taylor Swift

As you could imagine, it was hard narrowing down Taylor’s albums to just one that is perfect for me. This album choice may be a super controversial pick, but it’s the one that has absolutely no skips for me. Maybe it’s not the best of her albums overall, but I can always rely on 1989 and its upbeat tunes.

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “Out Of The Woods,” “I Know Places,” and “All You Had To Do Was Stay.”

The Family Jewels by Marina and the Diamonds

Marina and the Diamonds (now just MARINA) is consistent in putting out fun yet meaningful songs, and this album has to be a peak example of that. The Family Jewels was played on repeat when I was first finding my taste in music in middle school, and always left me feeling so “effortlessly cool” while listening.

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “Seventeen,” “Numb,” and “Are You Satisfied?”

1 (Remastered) by The Beatles

Technically, 1 is a compilation album of all of The Beatles’ top singles, so it makes sense why I deem this album as “perfect.” Even so, this was another album that I grew up listening to, and it’s amazing seeing the progression of The Beatles’ sound from their boyband start to their experimental finish, which is exemplified in the album’s order of songs.

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “Something,” “Penny Lane,” and “The Long and Winding Road.”

Pinkerton by Weezer

I love arguing with people over which Weezer album is the best: Blue Album or Pinkerton. As you can see, I am Team Pinkerton through and through. There are no misses on this album, and its high-energy sound always leaves me feeling invigorated.

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “Getchoo,” “El Scorcho,” and “Pink Triangle.”

little Creatures by talking heads

I’m a huge fan of Talking Heads and their experimental qualities, but what I love about the album Little Creatures is that it stems away from their more avant-garde side and settles in a sound that is listenable in any situation. It’s fun and upbeat and rooted in ideas of love, family, and appreciation for life itself. A 1985 interview with David Byrne (Talking Heads’ lead singer) for Rolling Stone stated that the Little Creatures album was “the sound of David Byrne falling in love with normalcy,” and I absolutely love that.

Top 3 Favorite Songs: “And She Was,” “Road To Nowhere,” and “Perfect World.”

Jordan is a senior Psychology major and Women & Gender Studies minor at TCNJ, with an interest in becoming a clinical psychologist in the future. In her free time, she loves making lengthy spotify playlists, drawing, trying out new recipes, and rewatching the same 5 tv shows over and over.