This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s been exactly fifty-four days since I’ve put heat on my hair and I’ve got only one word for you: delightful.

The last time I put heat on my hair was two days before my brother’s wedding at the end of July, when it was blown out and straightened to make styling it on the day of the ceremony easier. Since then, I have taken care not to put any heat on it, and I think my hair is thanking me for my efforts.

I have naturally curly hair, so one would only wonder why I didn’t embrace it before. In high school, I left it natural for the first three years. Now when I say curly, I do not mean beach waves with no frizz. I mean curly, big, wild hair. I hated it, to be honest, but that is because I had not found the right products that would work to tame my curls. My senior year of high school, I started straightening it every time I washed it, and stayed with that routine until fifty-four days ago.  Since then, I found the products that work well for my hair, and I’ve been rolling with the curls.      

My hair is color-treated, so this heat-break is really helping pull back the damage that normally would happen. It’s also growing quicker, which is a plus. I also have a lot of really thick hair, so my old routine used to take an hour. Now that I cut heat out altogether, getting ready is quicker than ever.

The only downside to keeping up with my curls is that they only lay right when I wet them first, which means when I leave for class in the morning and it’s breezy out, I get a chill that doesn’t go away until lunch, or whenever my hair dries. It’s also a little annoying to workout with, as it gets in the way more than sleek and straight hair pulled back into a nice ponytail would. And don’t get me started on super hot days, when I want to chop it all off.

I know that eventually I’ll have to put heat on my hair, especially as the weather gets colder and I have to stop wetting it so much. But for now, I’m rocking the natural hair, spending less time getting ready, and living my curly-hair dreams.

Gif Source: Giphy.com 

Photo Source

Olivia Grasing is a journalism student who aspires to work in the fashion/lifestyle industry.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.