Mother’s Day Gifts She’ll Love: Get Creative on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Puzzled about what to surprise your mom with for Mother’s Day? Have you completely forgotten about the holiday in the midst of finals chaos? Have no fear, collegiates! HC has some ideas that are easy on your budget and will have your mom bragging all year long.

May 8– For those of you who forgot or didn’t even know, Mother’s Day is May 8, which is tomorrow! Homemade gifts can be fantastic if you put enough effort into them. I know what you’re thinking: I’m not four years old anymore. You’re right, but your mom will still appreciate the time and effort you put into a homemade gift.

• If your mom loves displaying photos in the house, try a photo-themed gift. Get a photo album and fill it with family photos, make a personalized calendar, frame a nice photo, or make a collage.

For an easy collage, get four sheets of colored scrapbook paper, glue them together to form a large square, and then decorate it with printed photos and stickers. You can do any size or color you want, and if you have some cash to spare, get it framed.

If you have an Apple computer, iPhoto has fantastic tools for making calendars and albums for reasonable prices. If you have a PC, SnapFish.com offers the same service. If your mom, like mine, isn’t camera or printer savvy, she’ll love that you did all the work for her.

• If your mom is always asking to borrow your iPod, try making her a CD. That way, she can play it in the car
    or on her computer at work. Include a personal note in the case that tells her how much you appreciate her. This and the perfect photo collage will be a perfect combo!
  • Browse the web- There are tons of gift ideas online. One great website to use is Etsy.com, a website that offers all sorts of homemade items like jewelry, knitwear, and clothing. The site offers unique products in every price range. You can find something for even the moms that are hardest to please, and you can get it shipped right to your dorm so it’s ready when you head home in a couple weeks.
  • Helpful gifts- Do something nice for mom that she will really appreciate. Is she always begging for help cleaning the house? Loading the dishwasher? Making dinner? Do some extra chores around the house, and make it something special. Make her breakfast in bed, cook her favorite dinner (make sure you do the dishes, too!) or help her complete a project she’s been working on.

If none of these gift ideas are for you, flowers and a card are always a good option.