taylor swift jack antonoff anti
taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

On October 21st at exactly midnight (no pun intended) Taylor Swift released her 10th studio album, Midnights. This soft pop album broke records by having the most album streams in a single day. Swift blessed us with 13 tracks, along with 7 more on the 3 am edition of Midnights. From the first listen, I could tell this wasn’t on the same lines as her previous albums Folklore and Evermore. This is her transition back into pop, almost mirroring Reputation in a way. In this review, I will briefly give an overview of the album and rank my top 5 of the album. 

I sat in my dorm with my friends, speaker in hand as we awaited to listen to the new Taylor Swift album. What had felt like ages since new music, I was over the moon to hear new music she has been working on. We went through track by track in order, and it was such an experience. Taylor’s new album, in my opinion, was a mix of 1989 and Reputation but had a darker tone to it. Although I have to admit I did not immediately love it on first listen, this album has tremendously grown on me. It has more of a chill pop that is not too energetic or too sad. Taylor has softer vocals in this album and uses a lot of new background music and vocals that we haven’t heard from her. Her theme for this area seems to be based on anxiety around life and love. The color palette is dark tones of blue, purple, and black that remind you of late nights, reminiscent of the show Euphoria

My current ranking of the album, after having multiple weeks to soak it in, is in this exact order; number one being “Karma,” second being “Labyrinth,” third being “Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve,” fourth being “Lavender Haze,” and fifth being “Sweet Nothing.” “Karma” is a pop anthem celebrating revenge on those who did her wrong. She has karma in her back pocket and this song is reminiscent of her 1989 era. “Labyrinth” is a more somber, slower song about finding the love you want after all the hurt. It is a hopeful song that makes you realize you can find your happiness after all of the pain you have been through. “Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve” is an extra track on the 3 am edition of Midnights that explains someone looking back at their abusive relationship. She regrets ever meeting the person and all the hurt they caused her and pours her heart out on the bridge. “Lavender Haze” is up next and it is reminiscent of one of her Lover songs, “False God.” It has an R&B feel and it covers the idea of being hopelessly in love and being covered by that “lavender haze.” My fifth spot goes to the unbearably soft and cute song “Sweet Nothing.” It talks about someone who is with their partner that appreciates them for who they are and doesn’t expect anything from them. 

Overall, Midnights broke records and what else do we expect from Taylor Swift? And with the announcement of her Eras tour next year, we’ll soon hear these songs on the real stage around the world. And according to clues hidden in her new video for her single “Bejeweled,” “Speak Now” is her next re-release. So much is to come for Swifties and their so much to consume from Taylor Swift, so happy Midnights season, everyone!

hi, i’m lara! i’m a tcnj student who loves art, reading and writing! i am obsessed with taylor swift and harry styles , i love anything fashion related and i have a pet dog named wes :)